Other rail saws worth considering, apart from Festool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks eric. yeh i'm not fussed about anti tip and i'll probably never use it for cutting mitres. never liked using them like that.
and thanks nelsun. i'd heard otherwise about makita rails, but i'll have a look at the part. i'm really considering baosch mafell rails as s the best option tho.

so am i right in thinking mak/fes saws wil fit bosch/mafell rails?

I was an early adopter and went for the Makita as i have always bought Makita stuff with no problems. It has been brilliant from day one and it gets used a lot, with no problems so far. People point to it's lack of a riving knife, but i have never experienced any kick back at all.

I'm sure other makes have their advantages/disadvantages, but the Makita has done the biz for me.

ok, and another question. be nice to be able to hook my big 1/2" makita router up to the guide rail.
anyone doing this?
again, is there the possibilty of cross compatability?

Makita have a router sled for the rails. I'm pretty certain that most professional 1/2" routers will fit on it, and some 1/4" ones with the correct fence bar size and spacing. I think there's a de facto standard, as I found that the fence from my Trend T11 will fit my little Bosch POF 500 & 600s, even though the fence bars are a different diameter and a different distance apart (there are two sets of holes).

I'd be amazed if a big Makita router didn't fit using a Makita sled. I was tempted at one point to get the sled, but I've not yet had a need to do it. Now I have an MFT-type table it would be nice for quick housings though.

jimmer":3qtvbgz3 said:
ok, and another question. be nice to be able to hook my big 1/2" makita router up to the guide rail.
anyone doing this?
again, is there the possibilty of cross compatability?

Hello,

there is a router base that fits the Bosch rails that has a universal fit. And I do believe, that although no other saws will fit the Bosch/Mafell rails, the Bosch saw will fit the other types of rail. I'd go for Bosch or Mafell, hands down.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-router ... 600-506685

Mike.

Eric The Viking":1fk4iqke said:
Makita have a router sled for the rails. I'm pretty certain that most professional 1/2" routers will fit on it, and some 1/4" ones with the correct fence bar size and spacing. I think there's a de facto standard, as I found that the fence from my Trend T11 will fit my little Bosch POF 500 & 600s, even though the fence bars are a different diameter and a different distance apart (there are two sets of holes).

I'd be amazed if a big Makita router didn't fit using a Makita sled. I was tempted at one point to get the sled, but I've not yet had a need to do it. Now I have an MFT-type table it would be nice for quick housings though.

Dewalt have a similar router setup for their tracks as well.

Back