Osmo Uvi-Wax

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

Established Member
Reaction score
One for Jenx, to distract from the conspiracies (thus proving myself to be part of them):

Oak: pre finish:
imgp0970.jpg

Oak: Uvi-wax

imgp0969.jpg

Oak: Poly-X

imgp0968.jpg

Not sure how revealing the photos are, but I'll cut the sample into sections after a good heavy second coat to display trend. To the eye, the Uvi is very obviously less yellowy-orangey, and adds more of a tan/beige cast which has more of a neutral impact.

I like it, a lot. Not quite sure yet about the finish in terms of sheen/texture.

v.interested in this. I like Osmo but would like it even more if it didn't have the yellowy orange hue.

It is quite different - not hugely, as Osmo isn't orange-orange-orange goop like BLO,but quite clearly to the eye.

It also isn't an oil/wax/hardeners mix like p-x. I'm sure it's way more sophisticated, but it seems almost like a waxy acrylic 'varnish' mixed with suntan lotion. Great neutrality, though, but like I say, needs a heavy second dose to get the true picture of its tactile/sheen qualities.

I included Osmo Uviwax in my comparative test of finishes on various woods and the effect of light for F&C a couple of years ago. My conclusions were that it offered some on some woods protection but that the pronounced beige colour was very noticeable on the finished work and detracted considerably from lustre and the general beauty of the wood regardless of type.

For this reason I concluded that it is unsuitable for fine furniture but that it should be noted that Osmo make no claims as to its suiyability for this purpose.

Jim

Interesting you found it had a pronounced beige effect, it seems very neutral to me (but that's one coat on a beige oak). What timbers did you test on?

I have to say that I am yet to be fully convinced by the sheen etc, it does look a bit plasticky like a slightly odd acrylic varnish.

I tested it on sycamore, padauk, American cherry and American black walnut. I think you are right about the colour of the finish blending with oak. Also, I find that oak is relatively low lustre unless it is quarter sawn so that the masking effect of Uviwax is less noticeable.

If you are interested I would be happy to send you a Word copy of the article if you send me a PM.

Jim

Back