Osb vs plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleemtaibjee

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Planning to insulate our new garage. We need to decide between OSB or plywood for the panels. Which to go for? The OSB is only slightly cheaper. I'm thinking the OSB will give a rather 'busy' look and be distracting in a workshop space, and be more difficult to paint if I later opt for lighter walls.

I've used OSB in my workshop, as most of the walls are covered in shelves, cupboards & tools it's ideal. You could say it does catch some dust but marks & screw holes from repositioning stuff disappear 😎

if u use 1/2 thick remember to mark the position wall studs and original wiring.....
or use 3/4 and screw ur shelves n cupboards anywhere.....
oh, and prepare for extra wiring and sockets......aways handy....
I would use ply as had bad experience with OSB in it's early days.....

Plywood, you can then be more certain of a decent fixing for most things. I lined a previous 8x5m w'shop in 9mm stuff for walls and ceiling. The only thing I did not screw to it was the angle brackets for timber storage, which went through the ply to the studwork.

Colin

Personally I wouldn't use either. All mine are lined with 8x2 T&G flooring chipboard. Cheap, gives a nice flat finish with tight joints and very resistant to moisture if you get the waterproof version. I put them on horizontally and stagger each run like bricks, don't even have to worry about where your studs are as each joint is supported by the neighbouring panels. Not too bad for screwing into, probably as good or better than OSB, no as good as decent quality ply. Better than either if you are using thin stuff as the flooring boards are 3/4 thick. Most proper timber or builders merchants will give you some discount if you buy enough, depends how big your garage is. I did all the floors in our extension and two buildings, one 10x7m and one 5x3 can't remember now how many boards, but enough to get them at getting on for half price. Can't hurt to ask.

And I'm intrigued by you saying that OSB is only slightly cheaper than ply. It should be a lot cheaper than good quality ply. I would certainly want to have a good look at any ply being offered at prices comparable to OSB, if it's shuttering ply then it tends to be pretty poor quality timber with lots of voids. OK for boarding up but not much else.

Thanks. Do you have a link for French cleats please? Then I know exactly what you're recommending.
They are essentially bevelled strips of wood attached to the workshop walls (all the way round my workshop) and with corresponding strips on the back of cabinets, tool boards etc so that the strip on the mounted item engages with the one on the wall. Usually a spacer strip is needed at the bottom of the mounted item to prevent it tilting.
Once set up, everything can be moved and mounted elsewhere without tools, measuring, drilling or similar faffing around. You WILL want to re-organise periodically!
Do a search for "french cleat" on UKW or online. You'll find loads of info.
Mine are made of 18mm ply cut at 45 degrees and do the job fine although softwood cut at 30 degrees is often recommended.
The biggest problem, I have found, is remembering where everything is after cabinet reshuffles!

C1F04DA5-3F80-4FB1-B6F1-94C166A9E881.jpeg

I went with 11mm OSB for cost reasons. I’ve found it looks fine when painted, while it’s probably not as strong as ply, I’ve not had any issues hanging various things on the wall.

I recently lined my workshop and had to make the same choice. OSB prices have/had skyrocketed (c.£35 for a 18mm sheet) my local timber yard offered me 12mm plywood for the same price. I went with the ply wood and I half regret it as the quality is terrible, full of voids and the surface is very uneven in many places. The had another plywood that was about £5 a sheet more. If I did it again I'd go and look at the ply first and make sure I was happy with the quality.

Flooring grade chipboard is surprisingly resistant to moisture, I have had pieces lying on the ground outside and it did not swell up and fall apart. I would say it is more moisture resistant than cheap plywood. It used to be cheap but not any more.

OSB also used to be very cheap but not any more. About 18 months ago I wanted a few sheets of 2440x1220x9mm, the price in my local builders merchant was about £17 for OSB and plywood. The plywood looked ok so I went for that.

I am not sure of the moisture resistance of OSB, I see they now make it for flooring so maybe there are different qualities.

I think I would paint it a light colour just to improve the light and make the workshop seem bigger and more pleasant to be in. I would probably go for either flooring grade chipboard or plywood if quality ok and not too much more expensive than osb.

Last edited:
My shop walls are concrete, so I use 15mm OSB as tool and accessory platforms. As of today, a full sheet (2500 x 1250mm) of 15mm OSB is €31 per sheet, while a full sheet (2500 x 1250mm) of 15mm construction grade plywood is €123 per sheet.

I prefer the OSB for tool walls because I change my mind on the layout and the screw holes are not easy to see. There is a lot of weight on this wall with the slider accessories, but after a year, the OSB has not let me down.

SC2C-Accessory-Wall.jpg

As of today, a full sheet (2500 x 1250mm) of 15mm OSB is €31 per sheet, while a full sheet (2500 x 1250mm) of 15mm construction grade plywood is €123 per sheet

just wondering mike, are you rounding up your sizes, or are there different standard sizes in europe? uk standard is 2440 x 1220

just wondering mike, are you rounding up your sizes, or are there different standard sizes in europe? uk standard is 2440 x 1220
There are lots of sizes for sheet goods, but I would not say there is a standard. The most common size here in the big box stores is the 2500 x 1250. The commercial lumber yards have more selections in 2500 x 1250, 2500 x 1500, and 3000 x 1500.

Some material, such as Valchromat, are available in 2440 x 1220, 2500 x 1220, 2500 x 1250, and 3660 x 1220, depending on the thickness and color.

There are lots of sizes for sheet goods, but I would not say there is a standard. The most common size here in the big box stores is the 2500 x 1250. The commercial lumber yards have more selections in 2500 x 1250, 2500 x 1500, and 3000 x 1500.

Some material, such as Valchromat, are available in 2440 x 1220, 2500 x 1220, 2500 x 1250, and 3660 x 1220, depending on the thickness and color.
thanks Mike, that must make shopping a bit of a headache

Back