OSB Availability?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jelly

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been trying to source 28 full sheets of 9mm OSB3 to line my workshop once the insulation is up...

MKM and TP couldn't (or wouldn't as a retail customer) source it for me, Lavers were straight with me and said they'd pull the order together but thought it might take a while to fulfill due to existing orders on the books.

I'm a bit surprised that such a fundimental building material is in short supply, anyone else had similar experiences?

Eventually took a punt with RoofingSuperstore, as I've had good service from their other business InsulationSuperstore as they were 3 quid a board cheaper than anyone else with free delivery, should be with me by the 20th all being well.

heard of lots of prob with this kinda thing....as well as plaster board etc.....
even conc pavers and other conc products......
steel sections can be diff as well.....
even tubes of silicone and Polyester glue were going short.....

the world is ending as we know it "JIM"...... he of StarTrek.....hahaha.....

Not related to Brexit at all in our experience - our director gave me a succinct summary last week - he is the experienced guy that deals with all this in fine detail

My understanding as below just to share with all on here

Delays are Covid consequences still and only getting worse.. Nothing so far to do with Brexit / but that will be added in the mix in Jan I bet
Ships that were pulled from service are still not back in action - probably the biggest issue.
There are just not enough ships leaving vs containers needing importing.
Lead times from factories also way longer due to increased global demand.
Hundreds of thousands of containers stuck at docks in far east & bribery is now an option to get loaded faster ($8,000) .. we didn't take up that offer.
UK ports have been struggling for some time / we have changed ports due to major issues at Felixstowe - that costs us more too as further away.
We have had containers ending up in Rotterdam as they were not unloaded off the boat in time in UK due to logistics/staff shortages - they then need to be shipped back...
Shipping costs have doubled in last few months.
Getting containers from ports to warehousing is variable as hauliers don't seem to have enough drivers.
We regularly have containers landing all fully sold and waiting lists now going into May 2021 for some items...

I'm not aware of any other machinery/tool importer that isn't facing the same challenges as I've outlined above

Prices have already risen within our range - It's not an excuse Graham - it needs to be done when base costs increase like they have - crazy times...

Cheers,
Nick

as Nick said, its all down to the backlog of Covid, the world stopped, not necessarily all at once, but it did stop... its terrifying to me to think that an island proulation that relies on imports don't realize this, even predict it.

I bring in 2-3 shipments from the far-east each year, i have had 1 so far in Feb...

As well as the shipping issue, staffing is a problem across the world with many workers getting laid off in lockdown, in the far east many are casual workers, so if their job stops in one place, they move to another, one of my suppliers could not reopen for weeks as he could not find enough staff as they had all moved on.
I should have had my 2nd drop in june, and then another in october... my June drop is now arriving early Januray 21, as dec was first time I could get it on a boat & at considerable additional cost on the previous drop, then i have the ports backlog to face.... joy.

This is applicable to every industry... currently the short term relief would be road imports from europe and containers moved by train. Thats not going to be so straightforwards if a deal isnt sorted for brexit.

I have a great deal of empathy for your position Nick, having been involved with both importing and exporting containerised goods, it's a huge faff with multiple points to go miserably wrong; I'm thoroughly glad to currently be far away from any connection with ports, international logistics and turning vessels around!

However... Norbord's main OSB plant for the UK market is in Inverness.

Norbord's main OSB plant for the UK market is in Inverness.
is it not fair to assume that they would have supplier delays due to covid, unless they are claiming to put the osb together from british cut wood, with british glue? that is before you take into account furloughed and isolating staff as well

is it not fair to assume that they would have supplier delays due to covid, unless they are claiming to put the osb together from british cut wood, with british glue? that is before you take into account furloughed and isolating staff as well

I suspect most of the wood comes from BSW's large sawmills in the area, otherwise there's no sane reason to be based that far north (having lived in Fraserborough it really is a long way from anywhere), the resin feedstock is produced (and exported from) on teesside...

I'm personally inclined to think that COVID disruption could have played a role, but that increased and/or unpredicted levels of demand are the main factor at play, which itself may be driven by the wider impacts of COVID.

I couldn`t get a couple of bags of plaster anywhere about 6 weeks ago. Apparently there was a government mandate that all stock had to go to "proper building sites" first before anyone else could have any. I know of one guy who got sent cross country for a pallet of multi finish.
Maybe something like that for the OSB as well.

Ollie

MDF, Egger, OSB all in short supply, triggers keeping excess in stock. I spent 3x my normal amount this month to stock up just in case. Last thing I want is plenty of jobs, guys to do it and no materials.
I'd hope with my account and history they would prioritise me over a cash buyer wanting a few boards. Maybe hence the stuggle getting a few boards.

Got told by TP last week that they were struggling with 4x2 C24. Sent me 6m lengths as they were struggling to get 4.8,s (for the same price I might add). Still waiting for a few other less common (but not unusual) bits as well

Mark

a large amount of glue manufacturers were swapping a % of production to making sanitizer... i could not get any quick from my supplier had to buy some from tool station & wait 6 weeks for my usual 50ltr drop when it landed it came with 2 bottles of hand stinger lotion with an apology letter explaining.

I knocked down our conservatory and have been building a new one. Had a surprising amount of hassle thoughout getting materials. Cement was a problem, as was concrete blocks then it was rough sawn timber - couldnt get sarking boards for several weeks then needed some more treated 2x2 - just about fell over when was told they were waiting on stock coming in -a further 2 week delay. Some thicknesses of PIR insulation bord were problematic as well. I think possibly the COVID/ supply chain issues were compounded by the house builders getting caught out when they returned from the first lockdown, causing them to stockpile/ reserve a lot of the basic materials. I heard for a while there plasterboard was hard to get as well. Also had a bit of a wait on lead flashing rolls but only a week, that was apparently COVID and reduced number of people in factory I was told.

However... Norbord's main OSB plant for the UK market is in Inverness

Hi Jelly, Good to hear they are UK based, I didn't know that. What could also be happening though is possibly other imported OSB alternative brands from abroad have been delayed / short supply so everyone has turned to Norbord UK and taken all their stock.

I remember years back we had a sudden big sales spike on spindle moulders and couldn't work it out until we realised pretty much all the competition were out of stock for a few months.

Wickes?
Both Sheffield stores have stock.
£16.50 a board - 1200 x 2400

Latest posts

Back