Original B&D Workmate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I still have, and use regularly, my 1970's Workmate. However the top is decidedly tired so I have decided to treat myself to a new one. Have googled and googled but cannot find a UK source. Does anyone have any idea where these can be purchased ??

Colin, surly its not that difficult to make, isn't it just 3/4" ply with a few holes in it, bolted to the frame? Netto have some simple ones for a fiver, you might be able to use the tops.

I saw them on offer recently, but I can't remember where. #-o :-k

Once I do, I will let you know.

Whatever you do, don't buy a new Workmate, they are absolute rubbish compared to the old ones.

I would make some new jaws out of good quality plywood

If its original its a lot thicker than 0.75'' but it would still be easy to laminate say 3x18mm plywood boards to make a new top .

Hi,

The new workmates have a cross piece directly below the jaw so you can't put a long piece through the jaws!!! I managed to find an old one at a carboot for £8 and gave my new one away. So make new jaws (but keep the old ones)

Pete

Colin a friend of mine bought one of the new ones last year and took it back the same day, because he thinks that it was no where near as good as the old one. Like the others have said I would replace the old tops.

Cheers

Mike

colin":czanrv4h said:
I still have, and use regularly, my 1970's Workmate. However the top is decidedly tired so I have decided to treat myself to a new one. Have googled and googled but cannot find a UK source. Does anyone have any idea where these can be purchased ??

I did mine recently, mines a 1971 year. glued to pieces of 1/2" ply together and made a pattern using the originals, and hey presto a new workmate :D

I made a new jaw for my Workmate (a skip find with the front jaw missing). The original jaws were 1" thick ply so I laminated a new one from 3/4" birch ply and a strip of 1/4". I had to guess at the positioning of the dog holes but it works just fine.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Yes, the jaws on mine are 25mm Birch Plywood (I was even once at the factory in Finland where they made them....) and it's remarkable the weight they can take ! I checked Miles Tools and Machinery who show similar jaws at nearly £20 each so looks as if I'll be reproducing my own.

Happy Friday.

Latest posts

Back