orangey colour reclaimed teak kitchen table - bleach it??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger12

Reaction score
Bought a reclaimed interior teak table. Was in a horrible dark stain. Stripped it with paint stripper and sanded it lightly. The. Oiled it with olive oil/lemon juice mix. Then a clear wax. Happy enough with the result however it does not match the other teak pieces from this supplier (Raft) being an orange colour.

I originally looked at bleaching it with a two part bleach or acid, but shied away from it as worried about destroying the colour or grain as I have never bleached wood before and looking on Internet, some said don't do it.

Any thoughts anyone? What would bleaching it do to it

A two pack bleach on Teak will knock it back to a pale straw colour. It's an unpleasant job requiring quite a bit of planning to do safely and cleanly in a domestic situation. You'd then be left with the problem of staining and finishing the table to exactly and permanently match the other pieces; which, because they're "reclaimed", will probably show a good deal of colour variation anyway.

Here's the thing, you would find it more difficult to do all this successfully than you would to physically build your own Raft style furniture in the first place. Good finishers generally earn higher wages than good furniture makers, there's a reason for that.

My advice, don't do it. If you want strictly matching furniture buy from somewhere else.

Latest posts

Back