oops...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lucky escape!

Here's what my friend did last week, he was putting a latch in a new door and slipped with the chisel. 16mm sharples straight through! He said they were sharp but I don't think they were, must of been forcing it.

Attachments

• image-371c4269dfa2530afeeffad432028271f5131e76bf9adb6e6ab57f49f3de51d6-V.jpg
    image-371c4269dfa2530afeeffad432028271f5131e76bf9adb6e6ab57f49f3de51d6-V.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image-853e794720230f26bf8a8b7db0cf06a4b604314c3ab3b5729736aec0b644e41e-V.jpg
    image-853e794720230f26bf8a8b7db0cf06a4b604314c3ab3b5729736aec0b644e41e-V.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 96
Smells of blunt chisel to me that one....we're all guilty of it.
Is that a beer mat I see underneath? Nuff said! Hope he's OK, lucky not to catch a tendon. Must have stung!

I've had a splinter through my thumb front to back before now. Broke inside so I pulled each end out and bandaged and carried on....like you do.....hospital that night after it went very manky very quickly. Antibiotics and a rollocking from the nurse sorted it.

I know the feeling well. Last year I fed the end of my finger into the planer and luckily got away with just a cut on the end. Glad to see you had the same escape could have been a lot worse.

I used to use big paslode nail guns which used the 75mm shanked nails. A new starter nailed his hand to a pallet straight through his palm. Another guy got a ricochet and the nail went through his cheek. It was double time on a sunday so after A&E took the nail out he came back to finish his shift. (hammer)

I was nailing oak lippings onto some shelves a few weeks ago, the pin deflected at a right angle went into my thumb and came out right in the middle of my nail. Forgot to get a picture though.

Mar_mite":183phlwr said:
I was nailing oak lippings onto some shelves a few weeks ago, the pin deflected at a right angle went into my thumb and came out right in the middle of my nail. Forgot to get a picture though.

That rather worries me, on occasions.
I have an electric nailer, I find its easier making small stuff by my self, glue slide etc.
Luckily, I have kept my digits out of harms way, so far!
Regards Rodders

It is amazing how nails can bend. When I was using the Paslode on the workshop wall one came out facing me! A complete U-turn. I assume I had hit a nail that was already there underneath. My hand was not in the way, but it was a bit of a surprise, to say the least.

I managed to feed my finger into a belt sander a couple of weeks ago. Not too bad, but it was only my own fault sanding a small piece and not paying proper attention. It's now just a bit tender where there is no nail.

blackrodd":2ddhv4gd said:
Mar_mite":2ddhv4gd said:

I have an electric nailer, I find its easier making small stuff by my self, glue slide etc.
Regards Rodders

If you take the time to do a little experiment you'll find the pins only bend one way, if you turn your nailer through 90 degrees the nail will only ever bend into the wood. If you look closely at them they're thicker down one side than the other.

Regarding Paslodes Steve, arms length and take no chances!!!

Thanks for the post although painful and not nice to look at.......but as a reminder to us all, use with caution... like the first time, everytime ! Geoff

Graham Orm":ckxbxram said:
blackrodd":ckxbxram said:
Mar_mite":ckxbxram said:

Regards Rodders

If you take the time to do a little experiment you'll find the pins only bend one way, if you turn your nailer through 90 degrees the nail will only ever bend into the wood. If you look closely at them they're thicker down one side than the other.

Never thought of that. Cheers.

doorframe":3vgj14bl said:
What, his backside? :shock:

Yep,true story doorframe,I'm going to see my doctor on Monday and ask for a skin graft off my buttocks for the Middle of my head. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Graham Orm":638xr350 said:
blackrodd":638xr350 said:
Mar_mite":638xr350 said:

Regards Rodders

Graham Orm, Thanks for that bit of advice, I'll take note now.
I had formed the opinion that the pins bent either way, left or right of the gun, but, as I say I really get my digits
out of the way.Regards Rodders

I've always thought the planer is the most likely machine I might have an accident with because my hands get closer to the blades and imo I would have little control/feel using push sticks wheareas with the table saw, spindle moulder etc I wouldn't dream of not using a push stick. I'd be interested to know if the bridge guard was in place as that should stop the hands from being directly above the blades.

The bridge guard on my Hammer is ok for the board if it's under 50mm or so, but if deeper or when 'edging' against the fence the guard can't be over the timber, perhaps this was the case ?

When feeding on the O/Hand planer, do NOT push into the cutter block area.
The whole idea of facing and edging is to straighten the stock.
To achieve this the work piece, or stock, is held down on the out feed table, being on the same plane as the cutter block, which is where any pressure should be placed, and with practice, you can grip, by cupping that hand, which is not in harms way.
Once the work piece end is level, beside the fence, the second hand concentrates on the out feed table, away from the cutters.
Do not continue to feed by PUSHING INTO THE CUTTERS PATH! SIMPLES!
And please look at the H&S link that Robin BHM has put on for the correct using of the bridge guard and other safety aspects on our types of machinery.
It's possibly one reason I have, luckily, not had many bad experiences.
Regards Rodders

Back