oops...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8squared

Established Member
Reaction score
Having being given an abundance of hardwoods in need of a little tlc today was the day I needed to sort it all out so I could once again have space in my workshed.

So the wood was cut to useable lengths/widths then placed in some kind of order.

Some time had passed and I was quite relaxed and set in my ways and with only a little work left I guess I got a little to relaxed, I got out my planer thicknesser and began to clean it all up... can you see where this is going?

I picked up a chunky piece of wood (unknown species) it was very dense, passed it over the jointer slower than normal and just as it was getting to the end it picked up a little speed unexpectedly and off slips my hand straight into the blade... I know very stupid of me to not use a push stick/block... luckily for me it only caught the top of my middle finger and I only my lost a little bit.

35l7zg5.jpg

I guess the moral of the story is to not get too complacent when things seem to be going well or doing repetitive jobs.

Unfortunately It's easily done, but obviously you're reactions are pretty good to end up with a smallish nibble.
Must say I have been very fortunate and not done that!
Regards Rodders

Very lucky, my college tutor did the same thing when he was an apprentice and lost about 15mm off his index finger.

a good reason also to use modern blocks that are designed to push your finger away rather than pull it in.

adidat

n0legs":347x617p said:
makes you jump don't it ?

It certainly did, didn't really hurt just more of a thump like I'd hit it with a hammer... took me some time to build up the courage to look at it as the blood was significant.

blackrodd":347x617p said:
obviously you're reactions are pretty good to end up with a smallish nibble.

When it picked up speed I knew it wasnt good so I tried to move my hands...

You've been lucky there. I've lost about 15mm off my middle finger (past the nail) and 8mm off my index finger on the planer. It all happens very quickly when things go wrong. You might have a bit of numbness there once you have healed.

Have to admit, I have also been there. Bitten on my thumb and finger. Not nice and held up the woodwork for a few days at least. I now approach my planer with the utmost caution.

Nasty, still it could have been a lot worse ie it could have been my finger! You will now have to strip the machine to make sure you get all the blood cleaned off, you don't want to stain the next timber you put through.

Seriously, I'm pleased your reflexes are quick that could have been a lot worse, your right, we do get complacent when doing repetitive jobs, I foolishly never use push sticks when planer timber, I will now.

Baldhead

Let it be the last lesson you need.

I've had a couple of nicks on the table saw. Admittedly doing things I knew I shouldn't.

Now I am a big fan of push sticks.

Ouch! Easily done, but hopefully a lesson learned without needing to adjust to life with one less digit. I did something similar on a Saf-T-planer at the start of the year, and considered posting a cautionary take on here. The Saf-T-planer is a very forgiving device, but I was being stupid, rushing to finish a Xmas gift, and not using push sticks.

Like you I experienced it as a knock, followed by lots of blood. It's now completely healed, with no sign it ever happened, but I'll remember it next time I'm tempted to be foolish!
20141218_213735.jpg

Attachments

• 20141218_213735.jpg
    20141218_213735.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 265
The guy who was teaching us in 1965 when there was such a trade as 'Wood Machinist' had hairs growing from the tips of three fingers on his right hand, he had planed the tips off and had a skin graft from his hip area, a warning that has stuck with me ever since.

Andy

andersonec":3k85gftp said:
The guy who was teaching us in 1965 when there was such a trade as 'Wood Machinist' had hairs growing from the tips of three fingers on his right hand, he had planed the tips off and had a skin graft from his hip area, a warning that has stuck with me ever since.

Andy

Are there no wood machinists today?
Who works the moulding and planing machines today, I wonder.
I heard that there are setters whose job is in sharpening and setting the cutters in the blocks.
Rodders

andersonec":8m99ysu4 said:

Andy

You've just brought back a schoolboy memory there Andy, my bestest pals dad had a hairy Palm from a skin graft from his backside,I was always fascinated by it :lol: :lol: :lol: .

We had a lorry driver who had worked at the local door factory.
Evidently, he was feeding doors through the drum sander.
He got both his hands trapped at the in feed end and sanded a large amount from the backs of his hands.
He was lucky, they still functioned, and not to have sanded away the tendons etc.
I guess that they were partly saved as the drum was high enough not too cause more damage.
I am not aware of which part of his anatomy donated the skin grafting, but they did look a sight, the poor sod!
Regards Rodders

Mar_mite":39d0trp9 said:
You've been lucky there. I've lost about 15mm off my middle finger (past the nail) and 8mm off my index finger on the planer. It all happens very quickly when things go wrong. You might have a bit of numbness there once you have healed.

+1 on this last comment.

Back