Ooops! Plasterboard repair.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhwbigley

Established Member
Reaction score
any ideas how much this is going to cost us?

DSC01224.jpg

now to bed :oops:

John-Henry

The board will need cutting out and replacing, obviously, so that's a case of finding the board edges (unless you're unlucky enough to have damaged two boards), cut it out, remove fixings (nails or screws), replace with new board(s), tape the joints, skim and decorate. The only variables I can think of are if it's one or two boards, otherwise you should get very similar quotes.

You may have to allow for removing and replacing the skirting board, BTW. No doubt you could do the removing yourself, which would save a little bit. If you can replace the board(s), so much the better, but whatever you do leave the taping, skimming, etc. to a professional.

Good plasterers are always busy, so if you can prep the job, it would probably get done "on the way home." The best plasterers, IME, come recommended from friends. :)

Ray

Argee":9njeuprb said:
The board will need cutting out and replacing, obviously, so that's a case of finding the board edges (unless you're unlucky enough to have damaged two boards), cut it out, remove fixings (nails or screws), replace with new board(s), tape the joints, skim and decorate. The only variables I can think of are if it's one or two boards, otherwise you should get very similar quotes.

You may have to allow for removing and replacing the skirting board, BTW. No doubt you could do the removing yourself, which would save a little bit. If you can replace the board(s), so much the better, but whatever you do leave the taping, skimming, etc. to a professional.

Good plasterers are always busy, so if you can prep the job, it would probably get done "on the way home." The best plasterers, IME, come recommended from friends. :)

Ray

thanks Ray, thats the way i'd go about it personaly if it was my own property. we where all called to the landlords office this morning :oops: , he was not happy!

its going to be fixed in the next 2 weeks, then we get the bill :shock: i might give my plastering mate a ring, there not even half a days work in the job really.

John-Henry

You could knock out the loose bits and then adhere a slightly larger piece of plasterboard to the back of what remains before plastering back up to the original thickness. The trickiest part is getting the slightly larger bit in the wall. You'll have to make it either longer or wider but not both and can only tell the best way to go once you got the old stuff out of the way.

The other option is mesh to plaster on.

matt":bpteube7 said:
You could knock out the loose bits and then adhere a slightly larger piece of plasterboard to the back of what remains before plastering back up to the original thickness. The trickiest part is getting the slightly larger bit in the wall. You'll have to make it either longer or wider but not both and can only tell the best way to go once you got the old stuff out of the way.

The other option is mesh to plaster on.

It's what I'd do as well. Much less work. Still have the problem of getting a decent plasterer although with that small area it's not beyond DIY and a bit of sanding.

Here i the states it would cost more for the board then the professional,boards only sold in sheets ,I have repaired walls like that before...takes 3 sandings to finish 1 Fit hole and tape
2 Trip ,sand and add plaster
3 Sand joint again and add plaster
4 Lightly sand and prime wall
5 Listen to wife complain "Your not going to leave it like that are you"
6 Wind up painting every room in the house. :evil:
Remember to look where the toys are,safes a lot of grief

Matt has it right.

Cut back to a clean edge all around the damage. Then cut a piece of plasterboard a couple of inces bigger than the hole, glue and screw it behind the hole/ I would then add a second, thinner piece of plasterboard into the hole (on the face of the piece you have just inserted).....if the original wall was 12.5mm, I would use some 9mm stuff, to bring the hole up to 3-5mm shallower than the finished wall. You could then sand back the edges/face of the wall all around the hole to allow you to scrim the joint, then apply a skim plaster coat over the whole thing.

You will end up sanding that back if you aren't an experienced plasterer, then decorate the patch, then the whole wall.

Mike

thanks guys, you can see why some places the put sterling board on before the plasterboard. my land lords like " the whole wall will wont replastering" as its been said, any good plasterer would be able to feather the patch in. as i have no option than to let him sort it out, and see how much the fine will be :shock:, good thing theres 5 of us!

John-Henry

pren":2fabwyc2 said:
Job done. :wink: :lol:

:lol:

I did something similar in my friends office. Was building a desk and shelves for him and had to move his safe a little bit to make room for the desk, put my back to the wall, legs onto safe and pushed. I went backwards, which was a tad confusing as was the strange 'bang' noise. The desk ended up being built the other side, guess where the safe ended up? :oops:

Sounds to me like there's a bit of water-taking going on.

If he says the whole wall needs replastering and there's no way you can get it done well yourself or convince him it doesn't need doing - make damn well sure the whole wall is done. As in, be there when it's done.

I've seen a similar situation but different reasons for it in the past. Work that only needed a small bit of re-doing, and the homeowner's plasterer mate saying "nah you'll have to get the whole wall done again or you'll always be able to see the join" leading to a few hours plastering work becoming a full day's work costing someone who wasn't at fault a pile of money.

I'll not insult your intelligence by offering 3 guesses as to which plasterer got all that money.

Sometimes you get unlucky and are screwed out of money just so someone else and their mate can line their pockets by insisting on needless work.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back