online source for dozuki ripcut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanvdH

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found an online seller of a dozuki ripcut saw in Europe?
Alternatively, would a ripcut kataba be a good option for cutting dovetails,
or else one of these mini dozuki ripcut saws?

Dunca

Duncan

I'm pretty certain its ripcut. However, I am not an expert and I suggest you confirm this with Matthew at workshopheaven.

Sorry I couldn't give a 100% answer, but I'm still learning :?

Toby

A rip kataba is an excellent choice for dovetail sawing. Dieter also has a traditional dozuki ripcut, item 312061 on this page: http://www.fine-tools.com/dozuki.htm

However, a dovetail is a minor sawing effort, zip-zip and you're done; so it doesn't pay to get too crazy about optimizing special saws for this job. For several years I used the pro dozuki sold by LV which gave excellent results, very fast, straight, clean.

Pam

I have the 312182 Mini-Dozuki Ripcut with Bubinga Handle from this site and am very pleased with it. Cuts very quickly and accurately, but must be handled with care due to the very thin blade. My favorite saw for cutting fine dovetails.

Regards, Philipp

rant

I don't know about the staff at these retailers (most of the ones I've seen), but couldn't they just take a minute to indicate whether a given saw has rip, crosscut or combination teeth in the web site descriptions? :x

When I see this it suggests that the retailer either doesn't know or doesn't care... That gives the impression that the retailer only carries Japanese saws because they have to because the competition does...

Maybe the staff at these retailers do know their saws, but it sure doesn't show from the web site product descriptions... :roll:

/rant

DC-C

Thank you all for the helpful replies.
Up till now I used a crosscut dozuki for cutting dovetails, with moderate results. Of course I blame the saw, but it is more likely my sawing abilities.

I bought most of my woodworking tools from Mr. Schmid, so tend towards the mini Dozuki rip, if it works so well

Duncan

dchenard":1x5dqacx said:
I don't know about the staff at these retailers (most of the ones I've seen), but couldn't they just take a minute to indicate whether a given saw has rip, crosscut or combination teeth in the web site descriptions?

I don't think most retailers anywhere know much of anything about any of their products; so there's no real reason to pick on those selling a fairly esoteric product. Geesh, bet they don't know the difference between ripcut and crosscut even after someone tells them. Think this also holds for the vast majority of those who do modicum of woodworking, too. After all, it's not really necessary to care what type of blade is out there spinning like crazy.

Pam

pam niedermayer":5cgchevv said:
dchenard":5cgchevv said:
I don't know about the staff at these retailers (most of the ones I've seen), but couldn't they just take a minute to indicate whether a given saw has rip, crosscut or combination teeth in the web site descriptions?

I don't think most retailers anywhere know much of anything about any of their products; so there's no real reason to pick on those selling a fairly esoteric product. Geesh, bet they don't know the difference between ripcut and crosscut even after someone tells them. Think this also holds for the vast majority of those who do modicum of woodworking, too. After all, it's not really necessary to care what type of blade is out there spinning like crazy.

Pam

I don't buy this Pam... LV is able to write a few lines describing their saws, why can't other retailers?

I for one will not buy from a retailer that can't put down relevant information on their web site :? Just call me fussy :roll: :wink:

DC-C

dchenard":2kbxcohy said:

I don't buy this Pam... LV is able to write a few lines describing their saws, why can't other retailers?

I for one will not buy from a retailer that can't put down relevant information on their web site

LV is a very large company with a few very expert experts. I bet if you walk into one of their stores you'd get different results. Most of the companies selling online and/or in stores don't have that kind of expertise, their expertise is in retailing. To that end, most do a pretty good job of providing a multiplicity of good tools. It's our responsibility to know what it is we need.

Second, even when a small place has some serious expertise, usually it's the owner, who certainly doesn't usually have the time to write everything down.

And third, and probably most important, most customers don't want to hear how much you need to know to buy/use a tool. I learned this hard lesson when, trying to become a photographer, I worked in a camera shop for a few months. In fact, I got fired for trying to educate someone who'd asked for the education.

Pam

Wiley Horne":3l0vmf1n said:
In general, I have noticed that Dieter Schmid is better than many in describing his wares, as well as their advantages and their limitations.

I couldn't agree more. Dieter helped get me off the ground and running when I started this hand tool odyssey.

Pam

pam niedermayer":3ezcjwaf said:
dchenard":3ezcjwaf said:

I for one will not buy from a retailer that can't put down relevant information on their web site

LV is a very large company with a few very expert experts. I bet if you walk into one of their stores you'd get different results. Most of the companies selling online and/or in stores don't have that kind of expertise, their expertise is in retailing. To that end, most do a pretty good job of providing a multiplicity of good tools. It's our responsibility to know what it is we need.

I do walk in one of their stores... Quite a bit... Actually I'm starting to see myself as Rob Lee's retirement fund :mrgreen:

While it is true that not everyone in the store staff has the answer for you (remember that they sell garden tools too, and the salespeople knowledgeable in one field might not know much in the other), but I've never had a situation where no one on the floor could help me. Never.

Second, even when a small place has some serious expertise, usually it's the owner, who certainly doesn't usually have the time to write everything down.

Come on Pam, even if it was a small place, and that only the owner has expertise, how much effort is it to put "rip cut, 17 TPI" in the description? One would assume that the owner knows that, as he did the purchasing, if he doesn't, well, that's scary, selecting products for sale that you don't know about...

And third, and probably most important, most customers don't want to hear how much you need to know to buy/use a tool.

Well, those customers will buy many times before they get it... :shock: :lol: Put me in the lot who wants to get as much info as possible...

Back to LV... That company would not be where it is now it they had not taken customer care as a cornerstone of their business. And they started small too... Customer care is more than a generous return policy, it's also helping the customer buy what they want/need by informing them. LV is not the only retailer with that attitude, they're just one of the more visible ones.

DC-C

The Lee Valley store I go to is ths same as Ottawa, I live near London Ontario and can say without any qualification, if you ask any question about any of their stock, if the person you ask does not know the answer someone on site at any time will, whether gardening or woodworking.

You will not leave the store without an answer, their on site customer service in their stores is every bit as good as their phone service is.

Having said that however I can sympathise with Pam as I have worked for and experienced my share of people whose concept of customer service was to smile when you take the cash and move on.

pam niedermayer":1yzl7zxb said:
Sounds like with all your retailing knowledge it's time for you to open a store. :)

Pam

My wife (and many friends too) thinks I have enough tools that I could just do that, of course this is absolute nonsense :mrgreen:

DC-C

Philipp":pr8fun8p said:
I have the 312182 Mini-Dozuki Ripcut with Bubinga Handle from this site and am very pleased with it. Cuts very quickly and accurately, but must be handled with care due to the very thin blade. My favorite saw for cutting fine dovetails.

Regards, Philipp

Hi Philipp,

Yesterday I received the mini-dozuki rip and just tried it. Very nice :D .

The fine kataba I ordered as well I find a bit coarse, but will probably get some other use.

Sincerely,

Duncan

Back