Online/Offline privacy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
Index.dat Analyzer v2.0 (It's free!)

I run Internet Explorer 7 on my PC and although I have two 'clean up' programs that run after my online sessions I was surprised just how much info was still stored that I had thought would have been deleted by the clean up programs. If you value your privacy then I recommend using this program, Firefox users shouldn't need to use it although I tried out Firefox and Index.dat found quite a bit of info, but those using IE 7 may well find lots of info you thought you'd got rid off. The program is free, easy to use and does not damage the system in any way, not for Vista users as yet though. Deleting the contents of dat files with this program also frees up lots of space! The program can scan your hard drive for all dat files with content that can safely be deleted. You might not find anything but I did and gained extra space by getting rid of worthless info stored without my knowledge ;)

http://www.systenance.com/index.php

I can only wonder
a) how you managed to travel 13 years into the future
b) having made the leap of inventing time travel you then thought it would be fun spending 13 years editing your post 2 million times
c) If they still haven't got Index.dat Analyzer to work with Vista in 2020.
d) If I want my sensitive areas probed by an Index.dat and what sort of things you found stored without your knowledge in yours.

You heard it first on the internet folks.

"Last edited by Dog on Fri Jan 30, 2020 04:50 pm; edited 2000000 times in total"

I couldn't for the life of me work out what you were on about there MrJay. However, now I do, What the....?

If you can read this in 2020 , I just deleted loads of ??????????

Hope it all runs well :wink:

Will you be there if I get there or will you be back :p

I can't say I'll be there but I might be back here, I just travel between dimensions but to be honest, NOW is the best time to be anywhere, in 2020 MicroHard has taken over the world, if you misbehave you get slapped with a wet fish and have to kiss the feet of the great God, Lord Gates.... ;)

Sorry to disappoint but I found nothing interesting in my .dat files but I did free up space and to date, since September, no problems with the OS or anything else by using this program, I run it every time I've been online ;)

This software appears to do exactly the same as deleting all the browsing history on the General tab in Internet Properties in the Control Panel of Windows XP.

If you have XP you could save another 1.2Mb of space by removing Index.dat Analyzer v2.0 :)

Another prog. to try if you are into keeping your computer healthy and clean. It also cleans out all your index.dat files if you wish. All you do is tick the boxes you want it to clean, and it can also clean up obsolete registry entries if you wish.

I've been using it for almost a year now, and had no problems, it's free, and you get regular updates.

Used to be called rubbish Cleaner, but is now just CCleaner Worth trying it out.

Ccleaner, that's a great program and also one I use but I noticed it hadn't been clearing the Index.dat files in the Temporary Internet folder. As for the usefulness of Index.dat analyzer, it cleans all .dat files not just browsing history and cache and cookies, XP will clear those but the Index.dat files still store info. When I first ran I D A, I found 12mb of hard disc space being used by the Index dat file in the Temporary Internet folder, so a 1.2mb program freed up 12mb of my hard drive.

The problem with most versions of IE is that even if you check the 'delete temporary internet files on closing' it actually doesn't do it unless you follow the proper close procedure (and goodness knows what that is - I haven't found out yet.). My wife discovered this when her browser cache reached capacity at 1GB and she had temp files that were over 2 years old. Firefox, Safari and Opera are so much better at this....

(One day I'll be running Linux as well and then no more Micro$oft. Yeah!)

White House Workshop":1abrk18t said:
The problem with most versions of IE is that even if you check the 'delete temporary internet files on closing' it actually doesn't do it unless you follow the proper close procedure (and goodness knows what that is - I haven't found out yet.). My wife discovered this when her browser cache reached capacity at 1GB and she had temp files that were over 2 years old. Firefox, Safari and Opera are so much better at this....

That is why I always use the Control Panel method I mentioned above. I just checked it by searching for all index.dat files on the hard drive and found none in the Temporary Internet folder but a few others totalling 679KB in size. I'll stick to this method rather than loading more software.

Very simply put the clean cache and history iotions in internet explorere do not erase the content, they only mark the corrent one dirty. The index.dat is not only used by internet explorer but also by windows exploeere and any of the folders that open when you double click on the computer icon on the desktop. The only official way (according to M$) to erase the content of the index.dat giles is to reboot in safe mode, delete the files holding the shift key and then boot back into normal mode again.

Besides those index.dat file who not only store information about you but also slow down your pc when growing larger. There is also the indexing service and on viste the Windows Search indexer. This service should not be left enabled.

Latest posts

Back