Online courses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Maybe the search function is down at the moment but I couldn't find any topics on this..... so:

I recently received a record DML36SH lathe to learn on and have been bashing away following the Keith Rowley foundation course book. I was wondering if there were any online courses/video tuition in the likes of Chris Pye and Paul Sellers specific for woodturning. I realise that there are a ton of you tube videos but they are very scattered and of very differing quality. I would prefer a consistent experience that doesn't confuse and contradict! I would be happy to spend approx £10 a month on some kind of subscription basis.

I know many will say I should get along to a local club, and I would love to do this, but work and parenting commitments don't allow this at the minute.

Thanks,

H.

Hi
Can't help with an online course, I'm afraid, but I did read about a current woodwork teacher who uses this book with all of his students - https://archive.org/details/elementaryturni00seldgoog. It might not be as exciting to work through as seeing videos but it would give a good grounding in tool control and might fit in with the competing time constraints of parenting, work, life, etc...
DVDs by turners like Richard Raffan and Mick Hanbury might be more detailed than some of the many Youtube videos out there.
Happy turning.

Not an online course but the AAW site offers videos and publications that provide guidance and examples of good practice.

http://www.woodturner.org/

If you investigate the various menus on the home page you will find many answers to the questions you might have.

Trying to find a course or some support locally from an experienced turner would also be helpful to your progress.

Good luck and enjoy.

I'm surprised there is not real one-stop shop but I am very grateful for all the links. Just need to make sure I do the exercises rather than just put my feet up in front of the computer!

There are LOADS of good turners on YouTube - that's how I am learning and my stuff seems to turn out ok ;)

People like Eddie Castellin, Richard Raffan, Bob Hamilton, Carl Jacobson, Mike Waldt. Then you have recent additions to youtube who have been turning for a few years or less who can give inspiration for forms, shapes and general ideas like Martin Saban-Smith, Steve Twydell(Templeboy Turnings), and many others.

I know from experience that trying to learn from YouTube is hard to start with - you don't know what is 'normal practice' or safe presentation for tools etc, but you look at what is the general consensus AFTER reading books like Keith Rowleys etc and apply this to your own practice.

What is important is that you practice - I noticed after just a week using my bowl gouge that my technique has improved to the point that the outside of my latest project, which is a sycamore bowl, only needed sanding from 240 instead of starting at my old favourite 80 grit. I am able to CUT away torn end grain instead of trying to sand it away - this is because I now have a jig I made to be able to put a repeatable grind on the gouge now! (I didn't use it for about 7 months or so!)

I think one of the most important thing for new turners wanting to learn is to know and understand how to sharpen your tools and what difference having different angles does to your cut.

I am a firm believer of self teaching, I have used YT for learning many different skills over the years...

...one thing I'm sure we ALL agree on is that nothing substitutes a lesson from a professional wood turner!

:D

There is also a little app called Crafty, they have a lot of other stuff on there some free some paid, worth a look as the have quite a few woodworking courses on various topics.

Hi
Just been scanning the forum and stumbled on your topic.
I'm totally self-taught, so not qualified to give you advice on training, but here is little hindsight from my experience.

Turning can be a very dangerous activity. Think small and slow at first. Protect your lungs and eyes.
Concentrate more on what you want to achieve and less on technique. (Your methods will develop automatically and your failures will be a more profound lessen than any book/video.) Be resourceful. Use the equipment you have to its capacity before expanding your tool arsenal. (You will be a better craftsman for it.) Tool sharpening is as subtle an art as turning and is crucial to success. (You will soon identify how cutting tools behave and sharpening will enhance that understanding.) Learn to make tools to achieve your ambitions. (when you are more experienced) Obtain advice only when you are totally defeated. Don't overload with other peoples experience. You cannot stockpile skill in advance of practice. Turning is immensely rewarding but you will never be totally satisfied.

You could write a book about it!

ATB Bob.

Back