Oneida Dust Deputy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week I bought a dust deputy from ebay... there's some consternation going on on another thread over the (non genuine) larger model, but here's a few words about its little brother....

I just went out to the garage and had a proper play. I cleaned out the can and filter on my earlex combivac and hooked it up to the DD. I then used it to clear out about a foot depth of sawdust and stuff from the can of my RSDE2. How did it do? Fantastic!! Hardly a spec of dust made it through to the combivac. Well worth the money, as it's surprising how quickly the suck on the vacuum drops when dirty. Need to figure out an arrangement to get it hooked up the the 4" pipework on the RSDE2 now and see how effective it is with that.
Very, very happy with the results so far.

Si.

Sounds good! I've been toying with buying a dust deputy for a while, but am unsure if it'll cope with my steup.

I currently have a small dust extraction system made up from the 2 1/2" ducting kits available form Axminster and Rutlands, which takes the dust up into my attic and into a Record DX4000 which is a pain to empty at the best of times, not to mention bringing the full bin liners back down from the attic. My plan was to mount the cyclone up in the attic alongside my DX4000 and have the outlet of the cyclone connected to a pipe that comes back through the attic floor and into a collection bin in my workshop. Sound like a plan??

Aled

I've got a dust deputy in line to my vac and it works really well. Saves on expensive paper bags.

I think they've made a few versions which can lead to confusion. Mine is steel with a 2" pipe. They at least used to make a steel one with a smaller pipe. Don't know what size pipe the plastic one has. All are intended to be used with shop vacs using similar size hose.

I don't think the smaller Dust Deputies will work terribly well hooked up to 4" vac. You're going to severely restrict the flow and possibly overheat the motor? Also 4" is intended for larger chip size which will likely get stuck passing through the DD.

I'm currently building a large 'Thein Separator' to improve my 5" chip collector. If the Super DD you mentioned in the other thread had been available earlier I would have gone for that. I did not even ask for a price from USA because shipping would have been seriously silly money.

My DD is the smaller plastic one with 2" in/out. Have yet to try it with my 4" RSDE2 vac, but suspect it may be restrictive. I may switch to using my earlex for use on my power tools and table / band saws, and reserve the RSDE2 for my planer thicknesser.
May even consider selling the Record and getting a HPLV extractor for the PT instead.

Si.

The smaller plastic Dust Deputy can be had direct from the states for a bit over £50 (£54 maybe?) from what I can remember, the steel Super Dust Deputy carries a $500 shipping charge so is really a no-go. I think I will get the smaller plastic one to go with my Nilfisk-Alto Attix shop-vac. I need to source a container to accompany it though. What would you folks recommend? It needs to have walls of 90mm minimum if it's made from plastic I think, not sure about steel.

Cheers _Dan. ;)

For the container I used a stainless steel 'crock pot' that was on offer at local hardware. Made a lid from two thicknesses of mdf, creating a groove for the rim of the pot. Put draught strip in the base of the groove. Vacuum pulls it down for a good seal. Works a treat.

knappers":3jbhdgao said:
Are you sure you don't mean Walls 0.9mm thick?

Si.

That's what I thought when I saw the site, but I assume it's a typo on their part? Forgot to change it when I posted. :oops: :

*Please note: If you purchase a DIY "cyclone only" model, the drum you provide must be strong enough to withstand the vacuum pressure created by your vacuum. (5 gal plastic buckets work well) We recommend at least 90 mil. wall thickness otherwise the container may collapse when in use. The larger your dust container the stronger it must be!

_Dan.

I made my own and as you can see it´s very effective. I had to replave a sturdy plastic barrel with a metal one...

cyclone_1.png

Cyclone_II.png

Very imressive build and elegantly done. Wish I could work metal like that. Have you tried a bigger cyclone?

Hi and thanks for all the kind word...
It doesn´t weigh more than a couple of kg´s, made of stainless steel. Have been trying to find someone who can manufacure them, but the price is to hefty for the amount of cyclones I would order. But I ´m still trying occassionally. I have drawn a fulllscale cyclone made out of mostly standard parts and on monday I´m having a meeting with a mechanicalworkshop and trying to figure out a price...

/Matt

Very nice work Solidmind, I like what you've done there, standard pipe/fittings used to make a very nice little cyclone. Well done!

Aled

Hi Guys

Have any of you seen the competitor to the Oneida ...Dust Right Vortex™ Dust Separator... its on the Rockler website. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... 0Separator

They are selling for $70 which includes the bin and connection hoses. This seems cheaper than Oneida for more kit, but not sure if its as good or how much it would cost to get sent to UK.

What do you think?

Back