One year on.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant Cherries Andrew... not seen that before, very effective !
the colour works extremely well, too.

Lovely apple too .... I tried one and it looked like a hand grenade , and my pear looked more like a light bulb :cry:

Having seen your one - Inspiration to try again has been found ! 8) :wink:

oldsoke":luyt8av4 said:
Easy, Chas, it's OK if he has the zest for it :lol:

Stoned fruit are the easiest, just depends on the supply of Laphroaigh :wink:

I would never ever turn whilst drinking Laphroaigh, too dangerous. Especially at £30 a bottle, can't afford to spill a drop.

(In case any children read this:

Please note that the above comment is said in jest and in actually fact I never drink alchohol of any sort during, before or after turning or use of any powered machine except a breadmaker)

Made a couple of lemons this morning (pau amarello,finished in lemon oil) and a couple of plums (purpleheart,waxed):-

Picture148Small-1.jpg

which filled up the fruit bowl - hopefully,the plums will go a bit more purple with time

Picture155Small.jpg

By this time,the workshop had topped 23C,so stopped until it cools down a bit 8)

Andrew

Superb!

Almost looks good enough to eat that lot. Especially the cherry's

Anolther one for the list I think.

Cheers

Shaun

Nice work Andrew, no banana I see. I have had loads of goes at making them on the bandsaw and not one has got to a fruit bowl yet. I have never made one that to my mind looked good enough. I WILL get there though, one day. :roll:

Very nice Andrew :D
It all goes together well in the bowl.Must get round to doing some one day.
How are the Bananas done by the way :?:

Mornin' Paul. There are probably a few ways to make bananas, but the way I have seen, and the way I have been trying is to make them on the bandsaw.

Cut a blank big enough for the size of the 'nana. Usually a banana has 5 sides so you draw the shape of the fruit on each side of the block. Then angle the bandsaw table to the angle you want for each cut and feed the blank through free hand following the line. Once I cut a side I have been using a very small drop of CA glue on each end so as to replace the piece just cut off. That way as you work around the blank you have a stable surface on the table. Then take up the trusty rasps and sandpaper to get to the final shape.

I have been using some Acacia because of it's yellow colour, then trying to put on some black marks with a felt tip.

Maybe I should be looking for a different way, (if anyone has a easier way PLEASE post it up :wink: ) cause as I have said I have not got to the ideal shape yet. IMO anyway, I do expect fruit to look real, even if they are left in the natural wood state, and my bananas have not reached that state yet.

Made this when the shop cooled down a bit last night:-

Picture157Small-1.jpg

Picture158Small-1.jpg

Picture159Small-1.jpg

Redwood,200mm diameter,80mm high,waxed.

Started off with a more rounded base,with a little foot - then when I mounted it on the chuck and started hollowing the inside,it split;so had to remount it on the faceplate ring and "redesign" it - hence the flat base.. :oops:

And as for bananas - I've found an article on turning bananas,so maybe one day.. :wink:

Andrew

Great link Andrew, good find, his other fruit ain't bad either by the looks of it.

Glad the light nights are proving useful by the way, hard to believe that only a couple of weeks ago it was too cold for evening work.

Two very different ways of doing a Nana there :shock:
I always thought they were made by some clever way of off centre turning :shock:

Nice piece Andrew.Love the grain pattern and colour :D

Andrew i know how you feel in the WS this weather.Mine is like an oven,especially when i have to close all the doors etc to try and keep the noise in :roll:
Just too hot some days to do anything in there.

But the place i used to work was like a greenhouse in the summer with a complete side of the shop been glass windows,40' long,12' high, temps would reach well over 100 degrees,but the windows were open and never had to worry about the noise.So i should be used to it :shock:

Carried on the softwood theme this morning :-

Picture161Small-1.jpg

Picture162Small-1.jpg

Picture163Small.jpg

British Columbian pine,170mm diameter,35mm high,sanded to 400 grit and finished with friction polish.

Andrew

Lovely simple shape there Andrew, works really well. I don't know if the pine is like other pines but you have a really excellent finish.

Pete

I'm with Pete there on the finish Andrew, so easy to sand away the softer wood and you have maintained the clean colour, so easy to 'dirty' the pale wood in the final stages.

Simple lines but with a lot of expression from the captured grain pattern.

Very impressive Andrew... particularly like the platter, most impressive. !
Must have been something in the air this weekend... a 'softwood bug' ... I didn't have much timber around, only some of B&Q's Rough Pine / CLS , left over from a house repair some time ago, but thought I'd try my hand at a bit of it once more, as its great practice.....
and I was quite chuffed with the result ! : --

PineGoblet1.jpg

PineGoblet2.jpg

Back