one-trick ponies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Just picking up on a comment on a stateside woodturning forum, the chap mentioned "there are a lot of one-trick ponies out there" when discussing turning tools... his preference was for good general purpose tools...

I have a least 5 one-trick ponies... that rarely get used beyond a day or so after buying them...

Don't suppose you have any?

I have some that get used a lot (gouges,scrapers and parting tools,for instance) and some that don't get used very much (captive ring tool,bead former,thin parting tool) - but none that I've only used once.
Which ones have you got that have been consigned to the same pile as fondue sets,laser levels et al ?

Andrew

Andrew... more or less the same as you... beadformer and there's one which is square section with the point ground to a diamond shape (can't for the life of me even remember its name :roll: )... I'm going to regrind it to make a diamond skew...

The thin parting tool (Chris Stott type) gets quite a bit of use... it makes a useful mini skew, great for cutting fillets on beads... I rarely use the other parting tools, gave a friend a fluted one 'cos it just wasn't needed.

or did he mean "one trick ponies" as in wood turners that only turn bowl after bowl after bowl, with the occasional vase thrown in for good measure.

It's high time us wood turners thought outside the box and come up with something so unusual made from wood, a step away from bowls, platters, candlesticks etc etc.

Anyone have any innovative ideas ?

I was browsing some sites recently and noticed some projects on furniture based on medieval designs. Some, such as a chair and stool were lathe based. I'll try and see if it is in my history if anyone is interested.

Pete

P.S.
this is the site

I do use quite a lot the thin parting tool.
I believe it is quite necessary when you turn a box in a heavy veneered wood. I guess, taking a way as little wood between the lid and the box help you combine the veneer between them quite nicely. This cannot be achieved if you cut with a larger tool

Latest posts

Back