One Log, two pots

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
After the recent storms that fetched down so many trees I am often finding odd branches on the roadside that have been thrown to one side to clear the way, mostly they are impractically large to get into the car, but I did manage to get a nice Oak branch from Slebech a few weeks back, from the largest section I made two very different little pots or vases (you decide!) this is the first one to be completed, coloured but only lightly, the medulary rays and growth rings make a very interesting pattern, like a spiders web.

I will post the second one up once it is completed, it's very different!

The pot is quite small, about 3.5 inches tall. Finish is Melamine.

LilacVase-1.jpg

LilacVase-3.jpg

LilacVase-4.jpg

LilacVase-5.jpg

The shape I really like and a natural edge ,the grain pattern is pleasing and finish is awesome as always but you have done something I don't really think I personally would have attempted and that's colour a bowl with natural edge I prefer wax or oil finish on natural edge but saying the impossible don't work is totally wrong you have pulled another rabbit out of the hat =D> =D> =D> =D>
Regards
Bill

I really like the shape. Makes me think of Marmite for some reason :)

This may be obvious to everyone else but I need to check. You have taken a branch about 4 inches thick and used it cross grain rather than end grain, Yes ?

I have just made a little end grain pot from a 3 inch yew branch, It cracked right down the side in about three places while I was sanding it so I won't be showing it but because I hollowed out all the inner wood it just ended up a pretty boring off white pot :)

Grahamshed":pxe02p5i said:
This may be obvious to everyone else but I need to check. You have taken a branch about 4 inches thick and used it cross grain rather than end grain, Yes ?

Ain't completely obvious - I was thinking similar. Thanks for asking the question, G.

Answers on a postcard...

Thanks for the comments folks. Yes Graham, that's exactly correct. The log was quite small, the base is only just inside the opposite outer edge to the top natural edge, the grain runs across the pot.

Very nice and unusual piece. I am wondering if the medulary rays were cracks and have been filled with contrasting sanding dust? It certainly makes for an interesting effect.

procell":26cll4as said:
Very nice and unusual piece. I am wondering if the medulary rays were cracks and have been filled with contrasting sanding dust? It certainly makes for an interesting effect.

Thanks Procell, answer to the ? no, they are the genuine article :)

Back