One Log part two

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
This is the second little pot or vase I made from the Oak log "rescued" from the roadside ditch in Slebech, Pembrokeshire.

Inspired by a similar pot, which had been artificially "aged" in Richard Raffan's book "The art of turned bowls" I wanted to produce a similar effect.

It was turned green (as was the first one) and once I had completed turning the outside I tried to ebonize it by burning it with a propane blowtorch, but the wet wood was not only resisting the flame really well, the inner parts of the grooved section wasn't altering in the slightest.
Patience ran out and I resorted to black stain which I then buffed heavily to try and gain a little patina, I did not over sand the piece as I wanted a very coarse turned look, I think I managed to get most of what I wanted, but the paler undercolour of the wood where it shows through need to age and darken on it's own before it will become properly convincing.

It's very nice to handle though!

BV-1.jpg

BV-2.jpg

BV-3.jpg

BV-4.jpg

Love it. Have you tried steel wool dissolved in vinegar for ebonising oak, it works a treat.

Woodmonkey":3hcv1elp said:
Love it. Have you tried steel wool dissolved in vinegar for ebonising oak, it works a treat.
Also do it with wire wool and lemon juice. Smells a lot nicer LOL.

Pete

Nice Style Kym rustic and very professional I quite like the coloured look on natural edge you have made another new venture in the making for me to experiment with bought the large bottles off Terry smart Saturday and am hoping to get into it this weekend I didn't think it would work but alas again you have proved me wrong .Keep me Intrigued
Regards
Bill

Nice one Bill, look forward to seeing your progress with the colours!

Back