On a serious note, folks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogggyTown

Established Member
Reaction score
What's going to happen to your massive woodwrecking armoury when you drop off your twig? Will wifey be standing in the middle of all your gear wondering what size skip to order? Will you bore everyone into a coma by separately bequeathing each saw blade and drill punch, etc. to friends and relatives? Will everything be sold for insignificant pocket change?

I've decided to find a local trade school/college and will the lot to it. That way it will all still be useful and will be helping to further the sawdusters' cause.

Just my thoughts.

I'm, going to leave mine to the kids - whether they want it or not. I'm intending to build a tool cabinet of Wakaesque magnificence over the forthcoming decades, and if my kids don't cherish their inheritance, then i'll come back to haunt them. :lol:

Cheers

Karl

As a matter of interest, it was the custom years ago in the cabinet trade to auction off the deceased makers tools amongst his fellow craftsmen. This was done deliberately to provide his widow with a lump sum. I think that decent prices were paid so that there was a considerable amount of money that went to the widow.
All my gear is left to my son but I'm not entirely sure that's a good idea as he don't know which end of a chisel to use and the thought of him using machinery 8-[ [-o< - Rob

FogggyTown":2isp64sd said:
I've decided to find a local trade school/college and will the lot to it. That way it will all still be useful and will be helping to further the sawdusters' cause.

I reckon the lot would get divvied up by the staff & the school would see nothing :twisted:

I aquired, repaired & erected a proffessional weather station for my kids junior school to much fanfare.
A year later it was wrecked & unused
Never again!!

woodbloke":1xd2x9wu said:
As a matter of interest, it was the custom years ago in the cabinet trade to auction off the deceased makers tools amongst his fellow craftsmen. This was done deliberately to provide his widow with a lump sum. I think that decent prices were paid so that there was a considerable amount of money that went to the widow.
- Rob

I inherited a vast set of very old kit from SWMBO's Uncle Jeff. Much had been aquired in this way.

woodbloke":kwijvuyu said:
........- Rob

I have many small items used regularly that were purchased or won in a works raffle for such a purpose in the 1960-70's. and yes they weren't bought for a song but as they were from traditional craftsmen they were all of respectable quality and condition and the saving over new items was significant.

What about insisting in your will that it all be buried with you? The size of the hole should be good for a larf.
As I've no one to leave it to, who would thank me for doing so, I'm not that bothered what happens to it really.

studders":3mhcjf66 said:
What about insisting in your will that it all be buried with you? The size of the hole should be good for a larf.
Grave goods for woodworking in the afterlife...great idea. Some on this forum would need a very large hole 8-[ :lol:...probably not Mike G though :lol: :lol: - Rob

Hopefully (fingers crossed) it'll be many years before I meet the carpenter in the sky (Karen that is)... :twisted:

But, on the off chance I go before my time, the wife has INSISTED that I teach my two little ones how to use the tools I've got, so... much pondering has gone into it, and I'm going to start writing what I know down on a postage stamp somewhere...

Then, when they're older (remember they're only 3 and 4 now), they'll at least have some knowledge of what daddy did and why.

Sorry if this sounds a bit maudlin, but you did ask!

..........I want to see them try and cremate a bandsaw and planer-thicknesser! :D :D :D

Afterlife? hmmmmmmm...........Surely we've moved on a bit since the Egyptians?

Mike

I'm going to leave my lathe and turning tools to....................
Mike G. :p :p :p

Not a problem for me, I am adamant that I am not going to die.

However, if I decide I want to stop working with wood then I would probably find a suitable person/industrial museum to pass it all onto. :wink:

Mike Garnham":2tzbsu5a said:
I thought I would leave my planes to Waka.......

:D :D

Mike

........oh, and my belt sander to Matthew at Workshop Heaven

Looks like I'll have to build another cabinet :oops:

My cabinet plus all the hand tools inside will go to my eldest grandson, and he's not called Philly, Martin or Woodbloke.

Looking at the retail value of my workshop contents, I reckon that even sent to auction, it should repay someone the trouble. Used to have the process sussed, as there were a couple of folk who I worked with who knew the value of the stuff, and could advise SWMBO or whoever how to get a decent price.
BUT, inconsiderately, they've both shuffled off before me......
That's the problem with age :(

I thought I'd leave them to my best mate
Then I realised I had no mates :cry:
Otherwise what am I doing here :wink:

Back