OMG i just won a max mini on ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazylilting

Established Member
Reaction score
Very exciting news!!!

I just won this on ebay. i can barely contain myself

mymaxmini.jpg

Know very little about copy lathes, can I presume this works from following a existing pattern?

Not a bad looking toy though. Congratulations.

2 lathes and no turning? ;) What is it you want to make on the copy lathe? Do you have a specific use or just because it's 'cool'?

I wanted to get back into making chairs. When i lived in Canada i used to make Windsor and shaker chairs. So the copy lathe is just the thing for that. The first lathe i was thinking of making a copy attachment for it but now i won't need to.

As the max mini doesn't swing i won't be able to turn any bigger items. So the Jubilee will be more of the hobby lathe. I just won the one today it hasn't been delivered yet, just organizing it with my driver and the seller. so i only have the one and that one was a complete restoration job. I've ordered the parts but again one must be patient with these things. I won't be doing any turning for a while any ways.

We've just bought a new place with a shop on the property and will need to move my shop from where i am renting at this time. There is much to do. I have a blank canvas 20 foot by 34 foot building to outfit with 3 phase electrics, insulate, heat, etc... These are more of a priority then to turn something. However the mini max is single phase so i can see myself turning something before the building is finished...

North Wales. We live in Abergwyngregyn and are moving to Tregarth as soon as the lawyers are done. However my shop right now is in Llanfairfechan. We were supposed to be moving now, but the transfer has taken a lot longer then it should of.

i paid a little less then that. Its a very good deal though. It was a £3000 lathe when it was new. I've seen several advertised in classifieds without the copy attachment for £1500 and £1000.

Its not a powerful lathe its meant to be a copy lathe for production work. It isn't automated though. For what i need it will serve me well. I know it isn't an artsi thing but it is a money maker, and that's what we need to be able to do the fun hobby stuff.

I'm a bench joiner by trade and education and my real passion is violin making. But it is to difficult to change back and forth between the fine and the practical. I've shelved the violin making for now and want to throw myself in to higher end furniture making but its a trick to be able to produce such things without some help with machinery that makes it a viable proposition, especially in these times.

Right now i just do what i can get my hands on and work towards doing what i really want to do. Buy what i can towards the goal. I think this one was a good buy at a very reasonable price, and it came with a nice set of Robert sorby chisels and a long borer, hard to go wrong.

Back