Olive Wood and Cats

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure exactly where to post this, so I thought here would do.

Today I received in the post eight Olive Wood pen blanks, and nicely taped up in a 2x4 block. I put them on the coffee table ready to take out to my workshop when I next go out there (the fact that I forgot and they're still there is by-the-by!). However, my 2 year old male cat has taken a real liking to them. Licking them, rubbing himself on them and laying with his head on them. He's never had this reaction to any other wood before.

So, a couple of questions.

1. Why is it so fascinating to him?
2. Will licking it harm him?

He almost looks... orgasmic! (He is speyed by the way!)

Olives contain a chemical similar to that found in catnip, makes sense that the wood might show the same properties.

Edit: 'isoprenoids'... apparently.

Weird, i live next door to a small olive tree orchard, and never see a cat among them, and this island is over run with feral cats.

Very interesting - I had no idea of this. I don't have any olive wood, but I do have lots of ash (fraxinus excelsior) which is in the same family - I'm tempted to try an experiment with our cats (speyed boys and girls). I'll report any interesting results....
Cheers, W2S

The volatile chemicals that are currently known to cause the catnip effect in cats are:

* actinidine
* actinidiolide
* boschnialactone
* boschniakine
* dihydroactinidiolide
* dihydronepetalactone
* epinepetalactone
* iridomyrmecin
* isodihydronepetalactone
* mitsugashiwalactone
* nepetalactone (classical catnip)
* neonepetalactone
* onikulactone

In a survey of 1000 cats, it was found that 987 of them were most likely stoned off their t1ts. :-D

Back