Old tool gloat and yes, it's a saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evergreen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

These are the first pictures that I've posted so I apologise if they're a bit rubbish. Last week, for the equivalent cost of two coffees and a pastry, I bought this 12" backsaw from PFT in Salisbury.

DSCN0786.jpg

DSCN0795.jpg

DSCN0792.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

I had to take the handle off to deal with some invasive rust. Tricky! The slots in the brass nuts were so fine and shallow, I had to file a special little turn screw from a piece of old saw. The handle is a delight, nestling in your palm for a three finger grip. The teeth are a bit uneven at the toe and heel but they're sharp. The teeth are very nearly but not quite rip cut and they've virtually no set.

And here's the best part - it cuts dry hard wood like a dream! Along or across the grain. It binds a bit in soft wood but I would expect that in view of the lack of set. I love this little saw!

Regards.

Evergreen,

Whats the phrase I am looking for?

I remember

You Suck :D

Nice saw you have there.8)

Best buy some more coffees if they come with such nice tools.. :roll:

I could not have put it any better

Very nice saw

plus

you suck :D
Sorry I am easily lead :roll:

Nice. I can't comment on your vacuuming abilities though - dunno what the going rate for coffee is... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Evergreen":22kryo73 said:
Hi All

These are the first pictures that I've posted so I apologise if they're a bit rubbish. Last week, for the equivalent cost of two coffees and a pastry, I bought this 12" backsaw from PFT in Salisbury.

Regards.

very nice looking saw. You do indeed suck mightily.

Coupla' photo tips.

1) When posting on the net, crop away backgrounds.

2) don't use flash when photographing shiny things! Turn the flash off. If this results in long exposures and motion blur, use a tripod.

For the best kind of lighting you'll have to ask Alf :D

BugBear

alf
thats the backing of the carpet
when was the last time you had an hoover out ??? :lol:

nice saw
ive got a couple of those somewhere . they were left to me by my grandad along with about 30 moulding planes and other tools which i rarely get a chance to look at

regs
mel

mel and john":3axieti6 said:
alf
thats the backing of the carpet
when was the last time you had an hoover out ??? :lol:
What year is this...? :-k :lol: No, I was referring to the suckiness or otherwise of the gloat. :)

Cheers, Alf

evergreen
im assuming that your real name is T PRINCE or W M MARPLES
ive got my name on all my tools , it saves them getting nicked on site
:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

Hi Mel

By crikey! You've got eagle eyes! The saw is indeed photographed on the back of a carpet offcut.

I always particularly like to find the name of a previous craftsman on any old tools that I buy or am given. Hard to describe why but I think it gives another link to the past and perhaps an additional sense of responsibility to look after the tool and use it well. I've also inherited some tools from my Grandad who was a master joiner in the fitting and repair workshops in Southampton docks. His claim to fame was that he'd helped to put some last minute touches to the Titanic, or so he said......!

Regards.

Latest posts

Back