Old table saw/safety considerations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently bought a new table saw, and will shortly be getting rid of my old one. It's an old machine - made by 'Steadfast', think it's 1950's, ex-Government. The blade is belt-driven, and to adjust the depth of cut you have to slacken the blade spindle housing and adjust to the required depth of cut, and then slacken the platform that the motor is mounted on, and adjust that as required to re-tension the belt.
OK, for through-cuts it's not that much of a problem, but for precision cutting to a precise depth it's a fiddle.
Thing is, the belt and pulleys appear never to have been guarded, and although I have lived with the potential dangers of this, I think I've read somewhere that if you are selling something with damaged/missing safety-related components you can only sell it for spares or repair. Am I right or did I dream this?

Since you've had no replies to this can it be that nobody knows?
I'd just get on and sell it. The absence of a guard or two always goes towards more careful woodwork.
Surely you can sell on the understanding you've quoted?
Fred.
Kington in the next county..

I think as long as you cover your back and explain that the saw needs to be guarded etc for safe use then you should be ok. I would imagine most people sell machines under spares or repairs so there is no come back if someone mis-uses the machine.

i would think that the rules, if there are any would be for professionals
who sell machinery.

i think to be safe you should make the customer sign an as seen tried and understood letter in these days of lawyers ready to sell their own children
to get a case.

in general it seems that if you fullly inform the customer, then they
have little or no comeback, which is why it is worth putting it in
writing.

paul :wink:

Thanks for the feedback folks. At least no-one has come back with personal horror stories relating to similar deals. I'll get on and flog it then - with appropriate wording on the bill of sale.

i was under the impresion that you are liable if you sell something that is not "safe".
wether not being up to regs and telling the buyer covers you is another thing.
personaly id just sell it. thats what i have done with kit in the past. would never sell something that would hurt someone ie broken or unsafe machanicaly or electricaly but guarding is down to them.

there is of course the one rider. it is illegal to sell an electrical appliance at a "boot fair" with a plug, unless it is one of those new fully integrated ones, since you cannot guarantee the wiring.
so it might be better to cut the plug off too.
paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back