Old Soke

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jenx":231k5ysx said:
big soft moose":231k5ysx said:
one company of English soilders held ruvthen barracks for 3 months .

Aye, August, September & October ..............

Whilst we were all doon at Blackpool

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:lol: :wink:

Hi Paul ...may not make the bash ... more's the pity 'cos I know it'll be a good 'un :wink: (was only coming for the food :lol: )

Oldsoke wrote
Hi Paul ...may not make the bash ... more's the pity 'cos I know it'll be a good 'un (was only coming for the food )
No worries Graham,just glad to hear you are enjoying yourself.
I could always get Carol to send a parcel upto you :lol:

Jenx":3e5nmnbh said:
big soft moose":3e5nmnbh said:
one company of English soilders held ruvthen barracks for 3 months .

Aye, August, September & October ..............

Whilst we were all doon at Blackpool

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

edward longshanks , aka "the hammer of the scots" gave the haggis eaters a good kicking at falkirk and caerlavrock (amongst other places) too

"...... And stood against them,
proud Edward's army,
then sent him homeward,
to think again"

R.Brown.
The Corries
c. 1975 ish.

Extracted from OUR national anthem.
( Not that of those german's & greeks in Buck hoose :wink: )
Them of the 'House of Saxcoburg-Gotha'. :wink: :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jenx":3710pq0r said:
proud Edward's army,
then sent him homeward,
to think again"

R.Brown.
The Corries
c. 1975 ish.

yep but that refers to the battle of stirling bridge in 1297 when edwards army lost due to the boggy ground making his calvary ineffective.

Falkirk was in 1298 and was a decisive victory for the english -largely as a result of the longbow men, from then to the end in 1304 it went pretty much all the englishes way apart from a reverse in 1300 in lochmaben where the scots had significant help from the french - phillip of france signed a peace treaty with england in 1303 and at that point it was all over for the scots , who formally surrendered on feb 9th 1304 after a decisive defeat of fraser and wallace by a small english raiding party.

Anyway I'm not sure why we are arguing this - like i said i'm half scots through both grandfathers and distantly related to the mcfees and the macdonalds - all i'm saying is that saying that the scots were "never" beaten by the english is a little optimistic.

big soft moose":2ef9jaoc said:
Jenx":2ef9jaoc said:
proud Edward's army,
then sent him homeward,
to think again"

R.Brown.
The Corries
c. 1975 ish.

yep but that refers to the battle of stirling bridge in 1297 when edwards army lost due to the boggy ground making his calvary ineffective.

Falkirk was in 1298 and was a decisive victory for the english -largely as a result of the "welsh" longbow men, from then to the end in 1304 it went pretty much all the englishes way apart from a reverse in 1300 in lochmaben where the scots had significant help from the french - phillip of france signed a peace treaty with england in 1303 and at that point it was all over for the scots , who formally surrendered on feb 9th 1304 after a decisive defeat of fraser and wallace by a small english raiding party.

Anyway I'm not sure why we are arguing this - like i said i'm half scots through both grandfathers and distantly related to the mcfees and the macdonalds - all i'm saying is that saying that the scots were "never" beaten by the english is a little optimistic.

Note correction. It taks a celt to beat a celt or gael. Not a hybrid norse.germanic/french man

Pete

Bodrighy":2ia0imgo said:
big soft moose":2ia0imgo said:
Jenx":2ia0imgo said:
proud Edward's army,
then sent him homeward,
to think again"

R.Brown.
The Corries
c. 1975 ish.

Falkirk was in 1298 and was a decisive victory for the english -largely as a result of the "welsh" longbow men, from then to the end in 1304 it went pretty much all the englishes way apart from a reverse in 1300 in lochmaben where the scots had significant help from the french - phillip of france signed a peace treaty with england in 1303 and at that point it was all over for the scots , who formally surrendered on feb 9th 1304 after a decisive defeat of fraser and wallace by a small english raiding party.

Note correction. It taks a celt to beat a celt or gael. Not a hybrid norse.germanic/french man

Pete

only partly - a lot of archers were of saxon stock , what is notable though was that it was the common man not the ruling "norman" descended elite that won the battle - a point which is also picked up in comentaries on poiters and agincourt where again saxon and celtic archers were the deciding factor rather than the aristocracy on armoured horseback.

What was this thread about again :duno: Ive kind of lost track ;)

Jenx":1gecqn4w said:
"...from OUR national anthem.

Don't forget Alun, Phil the Greek is yours.... Dun Eideann ring any bells :lol:

big soft moose":1523m5b8 said:
What was this thread about again :duno: Ive kind of lost track ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it was about OldSoke Graham migrating to Skye to re-enact the Historical battles with the "Guffs" ( English ), And in the process, giving rise to Pete Bodrighy & Chas rediscovering their ancestral roots and 'coming home' to assist the 'righteous', in seeing off "Poncy Eddie", the Queen and the Duck of Edinburgh.. quack quack...
After deciding it was all too much like hard work, Scotland 'emptied' its population in the direction of an erstwhile lancashire seaside holiday resort for the duration of late summer,/ early autumn to go and enjoy candy floss, a big 99, and some rather elaborate outdoor bulbs.
meanwhile, undeterred... the Guffs, led by their new-found champion, Sir Peet DaMewse of Bigsoft, decided to take up residence in a ruin just outside of Kingussie beside a lay-by on the A9, at Ruthven.
They fell asleep because of a combination of the cold, porridge and the lilting sound of the Bagpipes and eventually ambled off home.

There we go... British History from the 13th - 18th Century in a nutshell
:wink: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nutshell.... that would be about right as an alternative title for this thread :lol:

Discussing the Gaelic alphabet today...teach says 'there's no 'Q' .... couldn't help chuckling... I've seen them in Tesco's and Morrisons...

OK, I'll get me coat and start taking the pills again....................... :roll: :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That reminds me of waiting in line in Matalan once with the missus... the lad on the checkout said...

"I'm sorry about your WAIT Sir, "...

to which My missus replied....

" Don't YOU apologise for that... he's ALWAYS been a Fat Barsteward "

Women.. dont ya just luv 'em :wink: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps the line of Da mewse will rise again and lead a lightning raid accross the border, bringing the sweaties to their knees by destroying the industial infrastructure (no ...wait... maggie thatcher already did that), blowing up the irn brew works , and drinking all their whisky ;) :lol:

This is so reminiscent of some of the enthralling late night chinese whispers we used to have between Chas, Graham and me (or is it I) Often wondered if anyone else ever made head or tail of them. It's wonderfil being older sometimes, masses of knowledge and nothing you can use it for any more except to confuse the younger population.

Pete

Back