OLd Plane Maker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mittlefehldt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello I was out rust hunting on Sunday here abouts and brought home this lovely Filister plane, wooden bodied of course. The name on it is as near as I can make out WmTHOMSON, not sure about the w it may be something else but the rest is exactly as shown.

Just wondered if this rang any bells with anyone as here in Sunny Southern Ontario we get British as well as US stuff.

Thanks in advance.

There's only a J Thomson in British Planemakers, fwiw (the only listed Thompson is a J too, coincidentally). Could be 'Murrican, or could it be a dealer's name? Or even an owner's mark - some of them are a bit deceptive and look like maker's names.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for looking Alf. Apparently there is a W THomson who shows Thopson on his maker's mark. I doubt that the name is a user's as there is also in fairly light but very neat lettering the name Manners as well. If it is the Thompson mentioned above he was only in business for about five years in the 1840's. HMM

Any chance of a pic or two, James? It's just there is a Manners in BPMs and there's the (faint) potential of it being interesting... :-k

Cheers, Alf

Afraid I am technologiacally impasired and this whole photo taking posting and transferring from another site and such leaves me confused.

However I will consult with my technical expert and see what I can do.

Back