old irish cabinet maker clip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone remember the youtube vid which showed a furniture maker in Ireland, I think it was from a series of short films done in the 70's. I cant for life of me remember what it was called. I think the grandson made an appearance on this forum

Thanks for posting this. I have just watched 2 parts and it is fascinating. I makes me think of the recent BBC4 programmes on crafts (I saw wood, metal and glass), but I like this more. There is a balance of watching a skilled maker with a little commentary, a bit like test cricket on the BBC when I was a kid. I love the shot of the kids coming home from school looking into the workshop window. Going to watch part 3 now.

Absolutely brilliant, thanks for posting. I love how completely understated they are, but quite clearly experts in what they do. I hope the young lad is teaching apprentices of his own now.

What a wonderful capture of craftsmens work. I eally enjoyed watching it all even though OI would not venture into furniture making. I wonder how the aprentice is doing these days.

Alex

Thanks for finding that. I watched it a couple of years ago. The old guys make it look so easy. The young lad in the film came onto the forum and said the workshop hadn't changed in all the years since filming.

All credit to Wallace! I just put '70's Irish cabinetmaker' into youtube search, sat back and enjoyed, it was an education. These days it's a shame to say it would likely be called 'Woodwork-Off!' and there'd be that pregnant pause as each week some poor pipper was voted off by some second rate celeb because nowadays we're all morons apparently. Shame.
Thanks Wallace.

flying haggis":2b8aiy4q said:
love the foot operated fretsaw
With the bellows to blow away the dust. Simple and practical genius. Love it.

Superb! As somebody else said, I do hope the apprentice is still going strong.

Seeing the chap working in his jacket and tie reminded me of my Dad who would never go to work on his allotment without a jacket and tie on. Different world.

Wizard9999":igo75wtq said:
Seeing the chap working in his jacket and tie reminded me of my Dad who would never go to work on his allotment without a jacket and tie on. Different world.

I once fly fished a beat on the River Itchen where you're still required to wear a jacket and tie. Actually it was great, it made a lovely experience just that bit more special!

Excellent videos. Great stuff.

Ties are generally considered a no-no in workshops now because they can be sucked into machinery.
Only last week, our cleaner's uncle lost his arm in a machine when his glove got caught up. Absolutely horrific.

custard":1buy2a3g said:
Wizard9999":1buy2a3g said:

I once fly fished a beat on the River Itchen where you're still required to wear a jacket and tie. Actually it was great, it made a lovely experience just that bit more special!

Here's my great grandfather (1870-1939) fishing - courtesy of DonMc - suitably attired for the day!

Fred Suckling_sc.jpg

Saw the videos a while ago but now watching again....

Attachments

• Fred Suckling_sc.jpg
    Fred Suckling_sc.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back