Old Chamfer plane saved

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Yellow_Ardvark

Established Member
Reaction score
DSCN1442.JPG

This was saved from the fire wood pile.

DSCN1445.JPG

Old, but in good condition, just needs some TLC

DSCN1446.JPG

Meths. and wire wool was used to remove the years of grime.

DSCN1456.JPG

Air drying.

DSCN1464.JPG

Finished.

The blade was sharpened and took a keen edge.

View attachment 168407

This was saved from the fire wood pile.

View attachment 168408

Old, but in good condition, just needs some TLC

View attachment 168409

Meths. and wire wool was used to remove the years of grime.

View attachment 168410

Air drying.

View attachment 168411

Finished.

The blade was sharpened and took a keen edge.
That’s really interesting. Strange, simple design, I’d love to see it in action. Does it produce a decent chamfer? The iron is tremendously skewed and at an incredibly high pitch. how is the depth of the chamfer controlled? Etc. Does it produce chamfers or spills as suggested?

A while back I fixed up a Mathieson (I think) chamfer plane. It works ok but there must be a technique to using these things. It is difficult to place them on the arris, they kind of rattle about.

Not sure if I have a decent pic of it, I had to make a new wedge. And iron I think.

Time for a few curly spills then Steve....
Setting up can be sometimes fiddly but you should be able to get a decent enough result.
Cheers, Andy

Time for a few curly spills then Steve....
Setting up can be sometimes fiddly but you should be able to get a decent enough result.
Cheers, Andy
So with a chamfer plane, do you start the cut with one side of the “V” against the top of the workpiece? Or the middle of the blade? And just plane until it stops? I’ve never really worked it out.

Sorry Steve, just realised it wasn't your spill plane in topic.

Generally I'd say use the side of one cheek/fence ? to start as it predertmines the 45° angle for you.
Cheers, Andy

Last edited:
That’s really interesting. Strange, simple design, I’d love to see it in action. Does it produce a decent chamfer? The iron is tremendously skewed and at an incredibly high pitch. how is the depth of the chamfer controlled? Etc. Does it produce chamfers or spills as suggested?

A while back I fixed up a Mathieson (I think) chamfer plane. It works ok but there must be a technique to using these things. It is difficult to place them on the arris, they kind of rattle about.

Not sure if I have a decent pic of it, I had to make a new wedge. And iron I think.
View attachment 168852
I've got a very similar box chamfer plane. I agree that they rattle about on the arris, so I hold one inner cheek (that'll do, you lot at the back!) flat to one or the other sides of the arris, and then plane until the other inner cheek meets the other side of the workpiece.

Sorry, Toolsntat: I read Steve365's post and went straight to answer him before reading on down the page. Why is there no "Embarrassed" emoji?

Back