Old Building, New Workshop - Where to Start?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calpol

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to work for myself and I've decided I'd like to go for it in the near-ish future, say withing a couple of years.

Anyway my 'rents have an old barn which would be a good starting point I would've thought but it'll need a lot of work, the idea being I can gradually work on it until I decide to start up myself and it'll be in a better working state... Obviously down time between leaving the current job (unless I'm unemployed then :cry:) and getting going wants to be at a minimum.

Once all the 'needs replaced' stuff is off it's basically a stone shell, needing a roof, floors, electrics etc. You name it, it needs it!

Nothing I think needs planning permission (roof maybe?) but like I say there's time to try and work things out. A big problem is the floor is, if I remember right, about 800mm under the joists so I don't know if there's any way to support heavy machines or if that'd need a different building altogether but there is also space to build next to it if possible...

Anyway I'd appreciate some help as to where to even begin, roll on the (Scottish) summer :D

Nice project!

1) Get a new roof on and sort out surface water drainage (gutters etc)

2) If needed build up door thresholds to 150mm above highest outside ground level.

3) Fit damproof membrane and optional insulation under a new concrete floor up to the doorway thresholds.

4) Window and doors to taste.

5) when things start to dry out, fit chosen insulation to roof and ideally walls with vapour barriers.

6) Plan your layout and do the electrics.

7) Move in

Have I forgotten anything?

Bob

Thanks for that Bob, figured the roof would be first but didn't know if any planning was needed? It has an asbestos roof just now which isn't any good and also has trees growing from it...!? The rest makes sense, also there is an electric supply going in, it just needs replaced. 3 phase as well which could be useful...

Whats the barn used for at the moment? may come under "change of use" make sure you can use it as a workshop before doing all that work on it.

Jason

Of course, you'll want to check the condition of the joists under the floor too before spending much money. If they are a good size in good condition and not too far apart they should support machinery OK.

I am surprised that a barn has a suspended floor - why I wonder - is the land around wet etc.?

Calpol":34x6knv5 said:
Thanks for that Bob, figured the roof would be first but didn't know if any planning was needed? It has an asbestos roof just now which isn't any good and also has trees growing from it...!? The rest makes sense, also there is an electric supply going in, it just needs replaced. 3 phase as well which could be useful...

Not sure about the legal situation in Scotland but if it really is an asbestos roof then in England you aren't (as far as I am aware) allowed to touch it unless you are a registered removal and disposal company.

Anyone who disposes of asbestos illegally risks very serious action by local authorities.

You shouldn't from a health point of view even think about it IMO

Bob

Lons":30imlo2d said:
Calpol":30imlo2d said:

Not sure about the legal situation in Scotland but if it really is an asbestos roof then in England you aren't (as far as I am aware) allowed to touch it unless you are a registered removal and disposal company.

Anyone who disposes of asbestos illegally risks very serious action by local authorities.

You shouldn't from a health point of view even think about it IMO

Bob

You are over -reacting. Blue asbestos fibre often found as insulation is the dangerous stuff.
Asbestos cement roofing is far less so and can be taken down by anyone. Most council tips will take the waste from private individuals but in this case the best place for it is in the foundations of a new concrete floor.

Bob (another)

Back