Ok so who got one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilc

Established Member
Reaction score
The iPhone 3G. Sorry if it's come up already as I'm just back from holidays. I resisted the first time around but with the addition of 3G, GPS & the App store I just had to have one. What an amazing bit of kit, it hasn't been out of my hands since I got it. So if you got one what do you think and what's your favourite apps?
Neil.

PS In fact I've actually posted this thread from it, in front of the tv, the wife is not impressed.:D

[nerd]sorry, not impressed by the iPhone at all. My old XDA could do everything that the iphone can, 4yrs ago. [/nerd] ;)

I assume it's a mobile telefonic communication device so you can talk on it as well :) ...that's all I use mine for. Remember that it's only a few years ago that we didn't have such devices and we all survived quite happily - Rob

I'm amazed at the way the tech sales marketing functions.

On the one hand there is a a whole host of effort put into selling the cheapest (free?) broadband connections for web surfing and communication/entertainment.

Whilst another ingenious group are pushing an alternate maximum user cost idea that can run for a few years before it too can take up the sagging sales boost of cheaper access marketing.

woodbloke":b60x2y50 said:
Remember that it's only a few years ago that we didn't have such devices and we all survived quite happily

I bet you can still remember the days of "Press button A" and "Press button B" in the old red 'phone boxes. Ah, the good old days 8) - everything seemed so delightfully simple then........

Cheers :wink:

Paul

iphone.

Not impressed really. I don't use a phone camera, I don't use it to play music, I hate computer games, I have a diary on my laptop which easily syncs with my desktop - why do I need another to worry about. I have mobile broadband so can open up my laptop and work, communciate, talk etc etc as I need to.

Iphone. No thanks

WiZeR":2zzeivh6 said:
[nerd]sorry, not impressed by the iPhone at all. My old XDA could do everything that the iphone can, 4yrs ago. [/nerd] ;)

Don't think so, WiZeR.I had an XDA as well. Clunky, slow, you couldn;t zoom with two fingers and the user interface was c**p. :D :D But then Ilike Apple Macs and not PCs :wink:

If I could get someone to pay the monthly charge I'd get one!

I often post to here from my blackberry:(

I'm sure the iPhone is brilliant, but apart from the UI the functionality is out there already and I'm not all that happy about my reliance on Mr Gates, I'm not going to reduce my options even further with Mr Jobs ;)

Oh I wish I could find the time to install Linux without giving SWMBO a dozen computing lessons!

Hi,

You can install Linux in very small amounts of memory. I carry a version around on an 8Gb memory stick. Use main machine for folder storage usually but can use stick as well

regards

alan

beech1948":8qu21lgv said:
Hi,

You can install Linux in very small amounts of memory. I carry a version around on an 8Gb memory stick. Use main machine for folder storage usually but can use stick as well

regards

alan

Thanks Beech - how do you make a laptop boot from the USB? assuming that's what you do of course

RogerS":1ivps687 said:
WiZeR":1ivps687 said:

Don't think so, WiZeR.I had an XDA as well. Clunky, slow, you couldn;t zoom with two fingers and the user interface was c**p. :D :D But then Ilike Apple Macs and not PCs :wink:

If I could get someone to pay the monthly charge I'd get one!

Actually I was talking about the XDAII. My mistake. Until it finally broke last year, I was watching movies and tv shows, listening to music, reading ebooks, browsing the internet, exchanging emails, navigating with TomTom (here and abroad) and playing games -everyday. I bought it in late 2004 IIRC. I just can't get excited about the iPhone when it does absolutely nothing new. I now have the most basic mobile phone I could find and a top of the range PDA. As others have said, a phone is for talking to people. I'd much rather separate it from 'entertainment'.

Paul Chapman":34uhvhci said:
woodbloke":34uhvhci said:
Remember that it's only a few years ago that we didn't have such devices and we all survived quite happily

I bet you can still remember the days of "Press button A" and "Press button B" in the old red 'phone boxes. Ah, the good old days 8) - everything seemed so delightfully simple then........

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Good source of a it of extra pocket money Button B

My phone makes phone calls. Cost me £8 brand new and costs me about £10 every couple of months PAYG. Good enough for me.

Pete

cambournepete":2c9ua39k said:
I got one yesterday. Very happy so far. Can't really justify it except that "I want one!!!". So there. :D
A man after my own heart.

I love the idea of the idea of having everything in one compact unit. Less pocket clutter. I listen to a lot of podcasts while driving for work. In my job there's a lot of hanging around so the Internet/YouTube is great, can check my private emails from anywhere. The apps are great. I downloaded a French phrase book for my hoildays in France for free. It even reads the phrase for you.
Could I have done without it, sure, but like cambournepete I wanted one. Wizer next time your passing an o2 shop you should nip in for a play with the display model. You might just like it.
Neil

Cheers Neil. It's not a case of liking it, it's just that my PDA is a lot better than it. The technology is nothing new. You might say it's 'mutton dressed as lamb'

Do they market an unlocked version that you can buy independently yet? What do they cost? I was in the Apple store at Lakeside recently and they certainly do look the poodle's parts. :)

Ray.

Argee":2jzqugin said:
Do they market an unlocked version that you can buy independently yet? What do they cost? I was in the Apple store at Lakeside recently and they certainly do look the poodle's parts. :)

Ray.

I believe some 'scallywags' are working on it.

RogerS":3uklop9j said:
Are you going over to the 'dark side' then, Argee?
I had a serious wobble - I looked hard at the 24" iMac, as I've never seen such a fine display. However, surprisingly (to me, at least) it's not as upgradeable or flexible as my current machine so - even though it might be swift and very handsome - I'll carry on with my "inferior" setup and considerable investment in PC software a while longer. :)

MDF_HAKA":3uklop9j said:
I beleive some 'scallywags' are working on it.
I didn't mean any illegally-unlocked units, I meant those that you could buy independently of a contract, for use on an existing scheme. I certainly don't want to get involved with O2 - I had more than enough problems with them when I was working! :)

Ray.

Ray,
I believe you can buy them legally in France and Italy unlocked. Very pricey though, €500/€600 I think. This is only because it against the law there to sell a locked phone. Mine cost €229 on the tariff I went for, made all the easier as I sold my itouch on eBay for €238 a couple of weeks before the 3G came out.
Neil.

Latest posts

Back