OK I'm hooked

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creampuff

Established Member
Reaction score
After obtaining a second hand Axminster M950 Lathe and various bits and bobs to go with it a few months ago, I wasn't entirely sure if i'd enjoy turning as much as my brother does.

Its just the thought of a heavy piece of wood rotating at several thousand RPM fairly close to the family jules really makes you think twice about things :wink:

But having had a few lessons from my bro, I have to say it is indeed great fun as long as reasonable care is taken ofcourse.

So hear for your amusement my first turning

Its from a large piece of Burr Oak i've had lying around for a while

4241094369_95b3117193_b.jpg

4241096833_e6711eff08_b.jpg

4241872796_206eb07f9a_b.jpg

4241878166_4636f72713_b.jpg

Be gentle :lol:

Andy

Well done Andy, nothing like picking an easy bit of wood to start on, and that's not an easy bit of wood in anybodies book.

Good finish on the base, how did you hold it to finish it off?

That's a bit like jumping off the cliffs of Dover to learn to swim. Looks like you learned fast though. Oak isn't easy, burr oak is a sod IME and to top it all getting a decent flat bottom on it I'd say you can pat yourself on the back with that one. Now try something easy like a bit of beech or sycamore :lol:

Pete

Why thank you gents

The only thing i'm having trouble with is sanding my bro said just sand it while its on slow speed, but even with the finest grit I had to hand 240grit, it tends to leave visible lines in the bowl.

The only way I got round this was to take it off the lathe and sand it by hand with the grain, not easy on the inside of the bowl!!

So whats the trick?

Andy

Basically sanding by hand is to be expected on a regular basis.

A friction driven sander Like the "Grip-a-disc" system will help considerably.
DSC00952.JPG

Just make sure whatever brand you get that it has sealed bearings not plain bushes, the grit debris will play havoc.

Power sanding can help, with a drill attachment. Sometimes you just have to take it off and sand it.

Hi Andy,

Great first job. As already said, Burr Oak can be a bi*ch to finish sometimes but you've made a good job of it. Power sanding is the way forward, this involves an arbor like this:

Arbor.JPG

Mounted in a drill and used a bit like this:

PC120017.JPG

The only thing I would say is that it is a typical "Beginner's Bowl" shape, in that it is a bit square, like you're trying to use as much of the blank as possible. Try to aim for nice smooth curves, these are usually easier to make as well!!

That said, you have made a bowl that shows off a lovely bit of wood well and you have achieved a really good finish on it, esspecially if you stopped at 240g (I usually go to 400g) so well done =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Richard

Creampuff":1mnijnf1 said:
Why thank you gents
but even with the finest grit I had to hand 240grit, it tends to leave visible lines in the bowl.

I sand down to at least 400 often 600 depending on the wood and finish needed. 240 will give you marks.

Well Andy it's always best to start off with a nice uncomplicated bit of wood just like you did?? Nice one and nice finish too.

As far as sanding is concerned I use one of those 2 inch arbours, but instead of hiking a drill around mine is fixed to the lathe stand and I use a flex drive. So much easier than the drill. I can then use my other hand to both steady the drive and to hold my tool hose on my Axminster dust extractor to get almost all of the dust too. I still use me Powercap though.

I can see into the future! You are either going to really hack your brother off or it's a lathe each!

Thanks everyone for all the kind words

I did think it might be a little to difficult for me to turn having so much twisting grain and what not, but i must admit I was very VERY gentle with it, as I didnt really have a clue what I was doing :oops: It ended up taking me the best part of 2 days to finnish it.
Well I say finnish it, it still has a few lines you can see where the sides meet the bottom of the bowl, but as it was my first bowl I didnt feel getting it perfect was all that important.

Hopefully I'll get some more time in the shed this weekend to make another mess :lol:

Now I'm off to the Axy website to buy some toys :twisted:

Regards

Andy

Hi 'creampuff' if that's your first oak burr then you've done well, if you'd like a tip on burrs I've found using a scraper before sanding gets rid of tool marks HGB

Back