Oil leak on car

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owd git

Established Member
Reaction score
In the last few days I have noticed spots of oil under the car. Thinking the worst I took the car to my mates garage to be checked out. With it lifted on the ramp I could not believe what we found. The sump was completly rotton and oil was weeping through. I.have played around with cars for 55yrs and have never seen a sump go like that. The rest of the car is totally rust free.

Sounds like my ******* Discovery.

It leaks water in and it leaks oil out. It is a bottomless pit into which vast quantities of money get thrown. The fuel economy merits towing a diesel bowser behind you. The electrics redefine the word 'intermittent'. It is a veritable CoS.

owd git":5e6zen2s said:
In the last few days I have noticed spots of oil under the car. Thinking the worst I took the car to my mates garage to be checked out. With it lifted on the ramp I could not believe what we found. The sump was completly rotton and oil was weeping through. I.have played around with cars for 55yrs and have never seen a sump go like that. The rest of the car is totally rust free.
And I bet you have to take the engine out to replace the sump!

Baldhead

owd git":36v0p6a3 said:

Don't throw the spilt oil away I think I know a forum member who might want it for sanding :twisted:

Vic

Baldhead":24f17s14 said:
owd git":24f17s14 said:
And I bet you have to take the engine out to replace the sump!

Baldhead

Mechanic says needs to take exhaust off and he can get at it. Hope he's right and not you. :roll:

Common on Renault. Ambulance mechanics do preemptive sump changes on Master based ambulances.

Dave

I was a technician for Fiat for 4 years and we used to see at least 1 a week on the old Mk2 Punto and pandas, thin pressed steel and no undertray - not a good mix.

Matt

ballibeg2":tcl37t6o said:
Common on Renault. Ambulance mechanics do preemptive sump changes on Master based ambulances.

Dave

Common? I've had several Masters of differing age/mileage and never seen a spot of rust anywhere on a sump. In fact the only rust I've ever seen on a Renault van since 1998 is on driveshaft surfaces

undergroundhunter":jz1tp32z said:
I was a technician for Fiat for 4 years and we used to see at least 1 a week on the old Mk2 Punto and pandas, thin pressed steel and no undertray - not a good mix.

Matt
Interesting this. The engine in my car( Astra 1.3 cdti ) is a fiat engine.

MMUK":1z7gyksk said:
ballibeg2":1z7gyksk said:

Dave

Common? I've had several Masters of differing age/mileage and never seen a spot of rust anywhere on a sump. In fact the only rust I've ever seen on a Renault van since 1998 is on driveshaft surfaces

Happened to all 6 in the west of Scotland fleet. Also on my current trafic.

Could it be road conditions our more salt in this neck the world?

Dave

ballibeg2":2vklo7c3 said:
MMUK":2vklo7c3 said:
ballibeg2":2vklo7c3 said:

Dave

Happened to all 6 in the west of Scotland fleet. Also on my current trafic.

Could it be road conditions our more salt in this neck the world?

Dave

I would imagine local weather conditions would have a large impact. The amount of salt in the air around the coast makes a lot of difference. It's the reason I fit austenitic hardware to any windows or doors I fit in a coastal location.

Latest posts

Back