Oil lamp help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all

This is my first post :da I know its not woodwork but i have been asked to repair an oil lamp that has bin converted to electric but i have been asked if i can fill the hole in the glass so it can be used traditionally again :? I was wondering if anyone knows of a clear filler/epoxy that could handle the heat when in use :? :?

Why bother, replacement glass chimneys are avaiable?

Roy.

I would tend to agree with Roy, get a replacement glass chimney. It seems way too much work to try and fix what is already there. Unless there is some attachment to the original piece, in that case good luck. I'm not sure how you would go about fixing it. I've tried to fix glass before and it never turned out well for me. Good luck if you try but get a new chimney.

Not quite clear - is the hole in the chimney (which is replaceable, but not always that easily since most of the new chimneys are metric!) Or is it in the oil reservoir, which was often made of glass as well? If the latter, then probably worth repairing with epoxy. But epoxy or other repair on the chimney would almost inevitably melt with dire consequences.

Back