Oh goodie gumdrops......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
.. I recently put a request on our local Google Group for anyone cutting down trees to give them to me instead of burning them.

I've been swamped!! The first lot was an old cherry tree. Mostly rotten!! But the bits that are good are very nice indeed.

Today I picked up this lot, loads of box, cherry, French elm (lighter in colour than the UK variety and of course.... two great bits of yew which I can't wait to get at. The guy has another bit that was too big to get in the car that he is going to get cut up for me and I'll collect that later.

One bit I don't recognise though. Any help identifying it?? Its the last pic. In the flesh its quite a yellow white with a very smooth bark. The wife thought it might be a plane tree but is not sure/

Life ain't so bad.

Just added two more pics of the 'unknown' wood to see if someone recognises it.

Attachments

• 100_1651.jpg
    100_1651.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 100_1650.jpg
    100_1650.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 100_1649.jpg
    100_1649.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 100_1653.jpg
    100_1653.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,020
  • 100_1652.jpg
    100_1652.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,020
Gordon

They look far too big for you to play with - you had better send them to me (yeah right!)

That looks like quite a few fun filled hours worth there. Will keep you out of mischief

Wood spoiler":2m9w2q4b said:
Gordon

They look far too big for you to play with - you had better send them to me (yeah right!)

That looks like quite a few fun filled hours worth there. Will keep you out of mischief
Would love to Colin - REALLY. :lol:

I've just been informed that the leaves were very long rather than round and serrated. We didn't see them unfortunately, this is what the donor said. In theory that rather takes out Alder or hornbeam. After seeing it, my wife, who is a horticulturist said it looked like hornbeam but when she heard about the leaves said probably not!

It may be more obvious when I take a slice! This would be fun but sadly I am in the middle of one of those periods where the machines are on the march. First the lathe, now the bandsaw has shredded its drive belt!! Deep breath and dig out the chainsaw.

nev":1cxb9lfs said:
:twisted: did you see any sheep in there? :lol:
I baaarly saw anything - he loaded all this stuff in when I wasn't watching!! But he did have a load of donkeys, goats, ducks and chickens. I'll have to see what comes up when I cut it up. I'll let you know.

It the joy of this forum init?? Such a lot of helpful folk! I'd love to send some to Lanzathingie but I'm so sorry but I have this bad back see and its all I can do to get the wood to the lathe, the post office is just too far for me. So sorry.

John - a Google Group.... its those nice people who are incapable of evil who offer yet another way of 'social networking. so they can monitor it and grab lots of details about you to sell on to other evil er - probably pineapples - so they can develop more money making schemes and try and be richer than Apple. We have one here called 'The Dronne Valley Network' run by a woman called Annie Fitchie. Basically, its a way of selling stuff and advertising services. I use it of course and so do most of the Brits, Dutch and Germans. Even the occasional French person has been known to venture in. It is also a useful place for asking advice on local customs, how to's etc. and taking advantage of other people's experience.

Exactly like this forum in fact.

Some of the wood is dry, a few bits came from another turner whose hands have just gone too far past yours to allow her to carry on full time. So a bit of cherry, box and elm I think.

The car.... ha :( . I won't bore you with the terrible sad story of my life! Oh Ok a likkle bit then. When I met my wife, we were both starting, literally, from scratch. For various reasons, indeed it seems, MOST of the reasons that its possible to lose everything. So my journey took in the usual Flat, house, bigger house, cottage, 27 room Georgian mansion with park and seven (yup seven) Alfa Romeos in the mews garage, small cottage, grotty loft shared with pigeons, flat, cupboard, slightly smaller cupboard to this. Which OK but still just about how it was when we bought it - shall we say 'unfinished'. I've spent most of my time here in and out of hospital. Gawd what a sad tale :D

Anyway, the car - I believe we were talking about the car. Before we came out, we were offered an immaculate old Sierra with only 73000 on the clock for £150! We said "yes please" and it has been fantastic. Carried all the stuff that one does in the country, plus tools, trees and indeed, kitchens. Its had one service and last week a new clutch - that's it. A bit like our seven Apple Macs (don't ask) it just works!

So we have 'lived in interesting times' You only get one shot so why not experience 'eveything' that life has to offer huh? Why be boring and just want the good stuff?

Its taken until I am supposed to retire to finally get what's important. Someone I really like as well as all the other stuff, a place I am happy in, good friends and neighbours and food and wine to die for - but not yet please, I only just got here.

My, Gordon you have lead a boring life haven't you? :mrgreen: As for wine to die for, I agree! but also not yet for a feww decades, but we should be OK 'cause only the good die young!

My life long ambition is to grow old incredibly disgracefully and according to some of our friends I ain't doin too bad so far?

Back