Ogee Matching

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlwaysLearning

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've some ogee architrave from ~5 years ago and I want to get some more. First lot was supplied by a local joiner, long since packed up and fled the UK to somewhere warmer.

I've had a look about online but not found anything identical yet. I've seen some referred by a pattern number but can't find a list of patterns - hoping I could just look up what I have then search for it by the correct pattern number. Of course, I could just be barking up the wrong tree. Is there a trick to tracking down more of the same?

Unfortunately even if you got it from the same place it would possibly be different - they change their cutters. I bought a load of 127mm ogee skirting some years ago that had a 10mm discrepancy on the depth of the moulding. Forunately I was for a job that required loads of short lengths so I didn't have to mitre or scribe two different pieces. The supplier kicked up hell about it as it was all supplied to him in one load.

If you end up deciding to make some to match then most places that grind custom spindle moulder knives can work from the details of your block and a piece of the moulding to match.
You might be lucky and find a standard knife profile that fits - these are numbered and maybe what you are thinking of. Look online at knife suppliers catalogues to see all the profiles. Axminster used to a nice list in their paper catalogue and may still have something online.

Back