Offendors trying to reform...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
So the young chap knocks at my door and, very politely asks for 30 seconds to try and sell me some stuff. He's down from Hartlepool and is quite honest that he's offended and has joined this programme to rehabilitate. I'm already reasonably confident that I'm not going to want to purchase, especially as I have no cash, and I suspect strongly that the products are not likely to be things that are really going to grab my interest. Nevertheless, I figure he deserves a chance at least. As soon as he unzips his bag I can see dusters and ironing board covers etc - I just know I'm not going to make a purchase. I listen to what he has to say and try to make discussion whilst desperately wanting him to have something genuinely worth having - not least so I don't feel as though I've wasted his time when he could have been selling to someone else.

Now I'm wondering why "the programme" are not a little more imaginative in how they guide people. Why not give them stuff where they're likely to have more success? I realise that they need to learn to handle an element of failing to cope with modern life but I sense the balance is tipped slightly too far away from delivering a sense of achievement.

I've had these visitors a few times Matt. The tat they sell can be bought down the pound shop, not for the 5x asking price they want. They should be sent back inside for daylight robbery :D

I agree with your sentiments though.

Cheers

Karl

It's an on-going (semi) scam. The story may well be part true. Used to be a firm in Nottm called Disvendors who were leaders in this field.
Like you I don't know what to do when they call.

I've had these callers as well. Same sort of stuff on offer. They were all polite enough, saying that they weren't alowed in peoples houses etc..

What got me is that if they were part of an official programme, why aren't they given some sort of ID / permission card from the police / probation service that says so? Also, the last guy who turned up had all his gear in a spa bag. :?

matt":187t3z5g said:
From Hartlepool?

a local....

last time we had one of these he handed a card that said he was disabled (deaf) and the instructions were on the card etc... same thing dusters etc...
somebody must buy the stuff tho... but it was in wolviston so maybe they were aiming for the little old dears...
Matt i like you avatar but...
in one its says you joined 3rd Sept 2005 and the other says the 4th Sept?
also you just posted and your an hour quick...
you trying to take control of us with confusion lol

edit i too am an hour quick? you are taking control

Good opportunity for those do gooders to invite the representative indoors, give him some cake and liquid refreshment and then disappear to the loo for ten minutes leaving the rep. all on his own with his conscience and previous habits. It would bound to result in another good model citizen coming about.

DW you must stop thinking those sort things.

BTW I recall reading an autobiography where some university students took to this type of selling and made calls late at night in particular areas calling on lonely ladies. They used to run a score sheet.

Back