Off topic and not for the squeamish!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A_n_g_e_l_a

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if you are about to eat a meal but I have a problem causing me great annoyance. Next door's cat has taken it upon themselves to leave a pile of doodoo, probably as a comment about my woodworking skills, right outside the door to my garage workshop. This has happened about 5 or 6 times now.

I have tried strong smelling bleach and arranging obstacles in the pest's path and settling area but nothing I do seems to work. It is a cowardly cat as it only seems to do it when I'm not around, otherwise I would give it a good kick.

Does anyone know a sure fire method for making the beast 'go' somewhere else?

Angela

You could park a dog outside the door to your shop.

How about lying in wait with a squirt bottle filled with water and a little vinegar? As the cat is preparing to leave you another gift, squirt it good. You might lose a little sleep but you'd probably only need to do it once or twice to train the cat.

Of course being an over engineer by heredity, I would probably come up with a cat detector that would spray the cat automatically.

Does the cat have to slip under the gate to get in there? If so you might string a bare wire across the opening so the cat can't get through without touching it. Electrically charge the wire with an electric fence charger and leave it for a few nights. After the cat has gotten a shock or two on the nose, it'll avoid that wire. Leave the wire and disconnect the fence charger.

Hi & welcome,
One of the mods will probably move this as it's in the wrong area. Right, to your problem, my neighbours cat kept climbing on my new car & has now scratched the bonnet. We have put down some crystals called Secto Keep Off. It is a repellent for both dogs & cats. Only put it down yesterday so don't know yet how good or bad it is. Apparently they don't like the smell of citrus so you could put down orange or lemon peel. Just not on anything that will stain easily. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Sliver.

My daughter had a similar problem with cats doing their business on some gravel at the bottom of her garden and near the front door. She bought some pellets from Robert Dyas (can't remember what they were called - Lion something-or-other) which she put down and they seem to have done the trick :wink:

Never have that problem myself - my cat always buries his stuff, although that would be quite difficult on the concrete by your gate :?

Paul

A_n_g_e_l_a":1dh50ueg said:
I have tried strong smelling bleach and arranging obstacles in the pest's path and settling area but nothing I do seems to work.

Does anyone know a sure fire method for making the beast 'go' somewhere else?
Well as a cat owner I can tell you that cats are attracted to the smell of bleach (it's the ammonium) even though it's toxic to them. The lion doo-doo stuff does work (tried it) - I believe that Chester Zoo of all places does a roaring trade selling it to gardeners - must be something to do with the scent hormones.....

Scrit

Hello Angela, When we moved in to our house we found that the neighbor at the top of the garden had 20 cats (yes I counted them) Most of them were ferrel cats but she used to feed them and they would hang around by her house all day.
When they wanted the toilet they came over the wall and into our flower beds or on the lawn.
I tried one of those sonic scarers but in our large garden it didn't deter them.

Then I saw on ebay a heron scarer works off a hose pipe, with a PIR detector ,cost me £40 but I don't have any cats at all now.

Alan

PS it also squirts up your legs if you walk in front of it :D :D :D

Angela

This kind of problem is indeed very annoying. I've used Jeyes Fluid to good effect in my garden although the modern version is not as strongly smelling as the original stuff was. The bonus is that you effectively disinfect the soiled area at the same time as creating a deterrent odour.

Regards.

gwaithcoed":2l05brwb said:
Then I saw on ebay a heron scarer works off a hose pipe, with a PIR detector ,cost me £40 but I don't have any cats at all now.

PS it also squirts up your legs if you walk in front of it :D :D :D

My brother used this type of device successfully to scare off foxes that were digging up his lawn - it also provides him with much amusement whenever I visit and forget it's there :lol:

Paul

my parents had a similar problem with cats in the garden, their solution was empty drinks bottles (clear ones) 3/4 filled with water...apparently cats dislike water and or reflections caused by water, dont known this is true but worked for my parents...only had the cats around for a few days after using the bottles , and no more cat mess.
failing that get some Lion poo, YES i did say LION ...wont seee a cat for miles or dogs for that matter hehe
and it works, a friend of mine worked at a safari park had the same problem, he swears by it....

Might sound a bit daft but you could try putting out some cat food. Cats will never go to the toilet in the same place as they eat. The other side effect is that the cats will fight over the food hence it won't be a safe place for a number two.

Dave

Pepper is also another good trick to keep them away....not very effective on or after a windy day tho :D

A_n_g_e_l_a

Lots of advice above. Do you have any friends with a dog :?: If so they could let you look after it for a few days and that should put an end to your problem :) One of our two dogs just needs the faintest glimpse of a cat and she goes crazy.

For those, like me, who may have been anxiously awaiting any outcome over the last week or so, I can, I think, safely say the low tech method of lying in wait and scaring the b****er off seems to have worked. Not that I'm that anal, you understand, but I did happen to catch the thing 'thinking about it' whilst sitting on my kitchen door step. I burst out hissing like a tractor tyre that had lost its valve and waving my arms like a woman demented. I did the same a day later.

And the outcome? Well it must have come out somewhere else!

Thank you all for your thoughtful contributions.

Angela

A_n_g_e_l_a":2kub4qgg said:
I burst out hissing like a tractor tyre that had lost its valve and waving my arms like a woman demented. I did the same a day later.
Angela

You sound a touch surprised that this worked but actually what you did was try (Successfully it seems) to act like a big aggressive cat.

It may make the neighbours laugh, and most humans never think about it. If they did there would be far less animal problems.

The same applies to dogs, a deep growl, arms outstretched, and face the dog will often work if it looks like it's aggressive.

So glad you didn't resort to kicking it :D I say that as someone who is not particularly 'cat' person.

A_n_g_e_l_a":1uiq7kha said:
For those, like me, who may have been anxiously awaiting any outcome over the last week or so, I can, I think, safely say the low tech method of lying in wait and scaring the b****er off seems to have worked. Not that I'm that anal, you understand, but I did happen to catch the thing 'thinking about it' whilst sitting on my kitchen door step. I burst out hissing like a tractor tyre that had lost its valve and waving my arms like a woman demented. I did the same a day later.

Angela

NB Guys - posted a YEAR ago!!!! :roll:

Back