O'Donnell and spigot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Well shes come home from work and put an extra long Downton Abby on which I can't stand. Can't say much as I have watched 4 hours of new yankee all bar falling asleep to some.

My question is regarding my November comp entry, more so the issues with the jaw and movement.

Now I turned a spigot and mounted the spigot into the O'Donnell jaws. Now im heavy handed so its tight. Every time I touched the goblet blank it moved off center. No matter how many times I remounted the blank and tighten even more, after putting normal pressure with a sharp tool it moved off centre again?

Any ideas? The material was Oak and spigot tapped slightly to ensure it didn't fly out. It wasn't a small spigot either about 60mm.

Attachments

• spigot.jpg
    spigot.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 645
Hi

it looks to me like you have cut the wrong size spigot

You can see in the photo the contact points where the jaws have gripped

What you need to do is close the jaws down then open 1/4 " then measure the opening size inside the jaws , that will be the size to turn your spigot

Also you can bring up the tail stock with a revolving center if needed for extra support

Also your tapered spigot is far too long.
Not at home base so can't provide a sketch but it should be sized in length so that the stepped collar is tight against the jaw face. This gives maximum lateral support against side leverage.

Edit: Just found it:
jaws2.JPG

Tail stop was up on a live centre for most of the turning, granted the moving got worse once I was hollowing the cup part. Ill do just that, thanks!

CHJ I have mine touching the chuck (well bolts that hold the jaws on) as it made sense that if ever the piece came out of centre I knew I could just push it back knowing it would be centre again. I see what your saying and the same applies so ill do just that from now on. Thank you.

Back