Router bit becoming loose.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timthetangent

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of router/router tables over the years for my picture framing work. The current model is a Trend 1/2" and has been great to use for the past 5 years. I did relocate last year just before the pandemic and ended up putting everything in storage for longer than I wanted. The main bit I used for frame rebates had become quite blunt and when I went to replace it earlier this year it became obvious that the bit wasn't going to come out easily. In the end I had to attach a set of mole grips to the bit and rotate it until I could work it loose. I replaced the now chewn up bit with a brand new one, but although I tightened it up as with previous bits, it very quickly became loose and was sucked up by the dust extraction system in place. I'm now concerned that if it doesn't have the ability to retain a bit in its jaws it's no longer fit for purpose, but I can't see anything obviously wrong with it. I do have a problem tightening some things up these days as I have arthritis in both hands, but I was sure I used sufficient torque on the tightening to ensure the bit would be secure. Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?

Sounds like the collet has been damaged. You have two basic choices:

1. Buy a new collet, either from Trend or (I think) Wealden sell them. That should take you back to where you were.

2. Replace the collet with a Musclechuck. Woodworkers Workshop sell them in this country. That will be much easier to tighten with arthritic hands. I’ve got Musclechucks on both my table router and my portable 1/2” router (Hitachi MV12), and I wouldn’t think of going back to collets and the faff with spanners.

Hope that’s helpful.

Sounds like the collet has been damaged. You have two basic choices:

1. Buy a new collet, either from Trend or (I think) Wealden sell them. That should take you back to where you were.

2. Replace the collet with a Musclechuck. Woodworkers Workshop sell them in this country. That will be much easier to tighten with arthritic hands. I’ve got Musclechucks on both my table router and my portable 1/2” router (Hitachi MV12), and I wouldn’t think of going back to collets and the faff with spanners.

Hope that’s helpful.
Extremely thank you

Trend sell little brass brushes to clean collets.
I'd buy a new collet and the cleaning brush and keep on top of your new collet 😉

I changed my Trend Chuck for one I bought from Woodrat. I think it was called Musclechuck .One of the best things I’ve ever bought. So much easier changing bits under the router table. Don’t bend as easy as I did when younger!

Back