Odd tool any input ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpygrandad54

Reaction score
Bought recently in a job lot of garden tools . Any ideas what it is and it's age etc.?

Attachments

• WP_20160901_08_46_25_Pro-320x169.jpg
    WP_20160901_08_46_25_Pro-320x169.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 216
It's a clasp of some sort. You'd attach the hooks to two chain ends then as you pull the handle over it will tighten the chain lengths. I was thinking it could be for moving logs with a length of chain forming a loop that could be tightened around the log. However looking at the weed control fabric it's lying on it doesn't look very big.

It is bigger than it looks straight handle is about a foot in length and it weighs a coupLE of pounds. A friend suggested for coupling railway wagons ?

Used for chaining down loads on lorries /railway wagons maybe? Does it have an 'over centre' locking action?

I don't think its for fence tensioning as there are no ratchets to gradually tension and hold the wires.

I think the top hook is used to suspend it, the lower hook is used to hang a sack of grain from it and the rod is used to add weights so that the sack can be weighed. The central point acting like a pivot.

Al

My thought was simlar to Beech. I have a broadly similar old (and much larger) pig carcass weigher which has a long arm with notches on it and a counterweight you can move along. The two hooks are similar but bigger.

Used for tensioning chains, the hooks take a link edge on, not hooked into a link. .
+1 for railway and truck use, I think we also used them in the shipyard.

t8hants":2dz714o7 said:
Used for tensioning chains, the hooks take a link edge on, not hooked into a link. .
+1 for railway and truck use, I think we also used them in the shipyard.

Now THAT rings a bell!

We call them sylvesters and they are used for chaining loads down on ships, trucks, railways etc. They are banned in the road transport industry now as they can snap back and knock your teeth out! Plus people used to use a piece of pipe to get more tension on and in extreme cases the chain could snap and injure people. We use ratchet type binders now.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

wide74":3d5co9og said:
They are banned in the road transport industry now as they can snap back and knock your teeth out!
It never did us any harm!

'elf and safety gorn mad, I tells yer!

BugBear

Well that's certainly got me thinking I have two of them will have to decide what to do with them. Thanks for all the I put. I am new to the forum very encouraging.

Very similar thing were used across the holds of narrow boats when carrying loose coal, they stopped the sides of the boat bulging with the weight.

Grumpygrandad54":1hlt5az4 said:
Well that's certainly got me thinking I have two of them will have to decide what to do with them. Thanks for all the I put. I am new to the forum very encouraging.

Maybe one's a male and the other a female? :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum Grumps. Hope you enjoy the stay.

John

Back