Oak & Wenge Wine Bottle Holder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem, I initially thought 1" 1/8th wasn't big enough for the whole because the design tailored for cork only bottles but it turns out that 1" 1/8th simply isn't big enough so I'll have to try and re-drill it for 1" 1/4" maybe...

I like your design, Jamie. Does it work as well when holding an empty bottle? But, I guess you wouldn't use it for that, anyway... ;-)

I have done one now.

Made from Oak and Ash. I ditched the template I did above as I never liked the shape. In stead I drawn a new one straight in to the block of wood. And tweaked it till I liked it. I think Its a little thicker than the stigs but the over shape I think is the same. Thank you Stig for inspiring this product.

I made a prototype first to get the base in the correct place as well as the hole. I tweaked the angle of the bottle a bit to make sure the cork stayed wet as it should with red wine. I then used the prototype to make a wood template which then was used to make the real one in the photo.

IMG_3417.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 537
I tweaked the angle of the bottle a bit to make sure the cork stayed wet as it should with red wine.
A true connoisseur! :D

Out of interest what diameter bit did you use for the hole? I found the 1 1/8" to be too small despite it being the recommended size.

New money size of 32mm. I think 1 1/8 is around 28-29mm. I did consider a 30mm bit but thought a slightly bigger hole would hopefully take them bottles with slightly wider rims. Also it would help stop the holder "coming with you" when you removed the bottle.

New money size of 32mm. I think 1 1/8 is around 28-29mm. I did consider a 30mm bit but thought a slightly bigger hole would hopefully take them bottles with slightly wider rims. Also it would help stop the holder "coming with you" when you removed the bottle.
I'm not looking forward to doing it but I'm going to re-drill my first one :?

You doing it by hand or in a drill press of some sort?

I think I might actually try a rasp first as I might be able to drill but I have a feeling that with nothing to grip onto it'll make a right mess of it!

Good idea. The only way to really "safely" drill it would be to make a curved piece that will sit over the hole that will take the guide point on the bit. If in a drill press I have been successful in "redrilling" by clamping the piece very tight to the bed and using a forsoner bit at a slow speed and feed rate without using a piece over the hole.

Unfortunately I sold my drill press before moving as I could never really find enough things to use it for so a cordless took its place :-(

Back