Oak & Wenge Wine Bottle Holder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Stig

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many people have read this month copy of British Woodworking but whilst flicking through my colleague pointed out one of the featured wine bottle holders. Given this I decided to see what offcuts I had knocking around the workshop so a board of oak and wenge later I had this :)

WineBottleHolder.jpg

I suppose that the answer to this is "buy the magazine" but how did you make it?

It does look smart- the form and the wood that you have chosen work very well.

Does it balance well?
To be honest I couldn't find a single bottle of wine in the house so that's tonights scientific test :D

How did you make it?
I roughly cut out the half moon shapes before gluing them together, I must have spent a good hour then sanding and shaping the curve since the sections didn't quite line up thanks to the 'poor light' around my bandsaw (that's my excuse!). I used 3 coats of finishing oil and then 2 coats of clear wax to finish it off. The full section sizes are featured in the magazine :D

Looks good Stig, I agree, nice timber selection... even though it was just what was lying aboot! :)

Can you post an image when you have a wine bottle in it please mate, I'd like to see how it looks.

Cheers _Dan.

Thats a nice wee project Stig, nice combinations of colour-looks like the dimensions would be a critical part of getting it to balance. A grand job !

It was just what was lying aboot!
Working for a timber company has its perks! I get to see all the stuff that comes in and when there is something nice kicking around I'm always on site to make a purchase :D

Looks like the dimensions would be a critical part of getting it to balance.
I'm hoping that the bottle in the magazine wasn't empty else I'll have to come up with some fancy way of rebating a weight into the back of the piece! :|

I nipped to Tesco to get a copy but It don't seem they stock British woodworker, If it something you have to ask a newsagent to get or subscribe to?

Hudson Carpentry":oqm0i978 said:
I nipped to Tesco to get a copy but It don't seem they stock British woodworker, If it something you have to ask a newsagent to get or subscribe to?

Try WH Smith. If they dont have it, then I doubt anywhere will.

I had a look online- they do a mini subscription of 3 magazines for £5, with no commitment.

WH Smith's always seem to have a good selection of woodworking magazines, personally we subscribe through work which is nice :)

If I subscribe Ill not get this months will I?

WHSmiths will require a trip into Nottingham :x

Normally I would just come up with my own but as this requires a balance I thought a template would be better.

I wonder if there is a site somewhere that has one.

Hudson Carpentry":2kb7f9al said:
If I subscribe Ill not get this months will I?

WHSmiths will require a trip into Nottingham :x

Normally I would just come up with my own but as this requires a balance I thought a template would be better.

I wonder if there is a site somewhere that has one.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2nw ... s/wine.htm not quite a template.

Well here is one I just knocked up but I don't like the shape myself. Its to scale if anyone wants to use it. I have a different design in mind now.

BottleHolderTemplate.jpg

Attachments

• BottleHolderTemplate.jpg
    BottleHolderTemplate.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 573
Back