Oak staircase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Heres a few pics sorry for the quality they were taken on my phone. Its a stairacse we did last year in a new build 3 storey house. It was a nightmare as the stupid architect decided it would be best to build a steel staircase then clad it in solid oak. Well the steel was all over the place and when we tried the veneer the outside string it just wouldnt work as it was so twisted so it ended up being plastered. When I took these pics at christmas the guy was in the process of fitting all the metal balustrades.

4328770454_889786d3a0.jpg
4328037383_389f805e90.jpg

4328037113_1ce14975cb.jpg

4328769336_a9160b7222.jpg
4328769016_e572c40ba2.jpg

Looks like very clean work. I have a few gripes with its appearance though... I think it might have looked better with more substantial (thicker) treads and the string looks too angular. I'm guessing that's because it's following the metal frame. Wasn't it possible to make the string appear deeper and have a flowing, curved, top edge? It just doesn't seem to blend in with its surroundings and looks too discrete, sorry.

Loz_S":khh8bc66 said:
Looks like very clean work. I have a few gripes with its appearance though... I think it might have looked better with more substantial (thicker) treads and the string looks too angular. I'm guessing that's because it's following the metal frame. Wasn't it possible to make the string appear deeper and have a flowing, curved, top edge? It just doesn't seem to blend in with its surroundings and looks too discrete, sorry.

Its a bit of a made up staircase if you know what I mean the whole thing was a balls up really all down to bad planning by the architect. I told them it would have been better to have just made a solid wood staircase and they built it in steel and we had to clad it.

The treads are about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" (cannot remember exactly) thick thats pretty normal dont you think, I wouldnt have gone any thicker myself.

The whole house was a disaster really I wont go into detail but lots of changes took place while it was being built. Things like the marble that you can see on the ground floor should have only been used for a bathroom as its too soft for general use but thats what the customer wanted and now its sratched to twittery. God knows what that cost them I know they were charged £65 per metre just to lay it.

The only bit I really like about the stairs is the curving string.

Sounds like it was a bit of a nightmare job and customer, suppose I should be more impressed you got it finished, let alone worry about the shape of the wall string.

chippy1970":2cqzf428 said:
The treads are about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" (cannot remember exactly) thick thats pretty normal dont you think, I wouldnt have gone any thicker myself.
It's probably just the photo that makes the nosing and risers look narrower than they are, 1 1/2" sounds plenty thick enough.

I've had a few things like this - look fantastic when completed but show wear and tear really quickly.

Good work on your part though :wink:

I forgot to say it still has to be filled polished etc yet I dont know when they will get around to getting a french polisher in, its had cardboard covers on alot of the treads for months now.

Below are some pics of the bottom tread originally it just had a normal tread and riser but looked pants on such a grand staircase so I trimmed the nosing off and joined on a bullnose step as you see in one of the pics.

4330565310_086c2107c7.jpg

4329832503_207bcc93a7.jpg

Back