more veneered MDF questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg@hilltop

Reaction score
Forgive questions which i fear have been asked before in various forms.

I am in the process of building solid oak stairs which will be flanked on the hall side by 18mm oak veneered MDF with 20mm x 40mm solid oak balustrading at 115mm centers running from ground floor to 1st floor hand rail. i'd like to finish oak veneer and balustrading with Osmo polyX which i have used on oak flooring to good effect. However when I fitted oak veneered "solid" wood doors I was advised not to use PolyX for fear of lifting veneer so opted for Ronseal matt varnish which in fairness looks fine.

Is this concern valid or will polyX be fine?

All input gratefully received.

I can't comment on the polyX as I have not used it on veneered MDF but Osmo also do a door oil which can be used on veneered Oak doors so guess that might work on veneered MDF but again not used it.

Don't you just hate people who give advice on something despite having no experience of what they are suggesting 😂😂😂

I have often sprayed furniture constructed with veneered mdf using water based sayerlack 1 pack clear

I have only very very occasionally had problems with the veneer bubbling up -which leads me to the conclusion it was caused by faulty manufacture -IE pockets with insufficient glue.

another issue that happens on very light veneers -maple mostly is that the diagonal veneer stitching can be visible once sprayed.

These two Cherry veneered MDF units were finished with a coat of Poly-x oil extra thin then a coat of satin Poly-x oil prior to installation a couple of years ago.

1FDD3A79-579B-4865-91C9-1F4BEF70A3FA.jpeg

Ive used this comb of oil on several MDF veneered projects & never had problems.

Back