Oak 'Purple Finger'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
Working all day today with English Oak - purple/black stains on my palms/fingers, always does - will be a couple of days before it goes. Is it just me?

Chris.

Chris
Yes, standard reaction I'm afraid. It's the tannins in the timber. Should disappear in a few days.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Phew - I was beginning to think it was just me, using Quercus.cumbrian rather than Quercus.scotticus.

me too i get seroiusly black fingers, seems to worses wen handle chisels, etc, to just the timber. I've resorted to using barrier cream, helps a bit, and doesn't seem to stay for as long.

Cheers
Rob

I didn't have this problem with English Oak recently but have noticed it when using oak before (possibly the European and French stuff).

The English Oak I used was pretty dry though. It was well air-dried and I also had it indoors for about four months. The stuff I've used before (at work :roll: ) would come on a rainy day and basically get dumped on the floor...

Does moisture content also play a part in this?

Very much a moisture content thing. After a weekend planking oak butts my hands and forearms are as black as coal.

Back