Oak Prep question please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have just been given a piece of Oak that has been in a friends garage for 10yrs and would like to use some of it for 4 small table legs....now my question /problem is that around the edges there is evidence of woodworm not much but there all the same.. :oops: Is the timber any good due to the fact its infected and if not what tips would you give for cutting /preparing the timber ....

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/ ... AG0138.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/ ... AG0137.jpg

sorry about the quality of pics

Should be okay, you often find worm holes in oak where the sap wood is - ie just where you're describing. Oak sap is soft, prone to worm and ugly, trim it off and use the rest

Firstly, that's not oak, it's too red/brown. Oak is more of a straw colour when first planed. If there's any worm in oak its usually in the sap so just cut away all the infected timber and use what's left...which is why I never use sap (except on Yew)
Edit - may be the lighting, but it doesn't look like oak to me - Rob

Hi - can't see the worm holes, but normally in the sapwood (lighter colour). It's probably dead, but treat it anyway in case. re the legs, I would assume it isn't dry enough (garages seldom are) to bring into a house, so cut the leg sections a bit oversize (6mm / 1/4 inch say). Then be patient, but introduce the timber to dry conditions gently (and coat the end grain to slow any drying that may occur, with wax or even pva adhesive). Then watch it for a week or so. Once happy it's stable, fine. Sorry but it's very hard to assess any timber from pics - it may be really dry already, but can't tell from pics alone and it isn't worth risking. The experts can just tap it and tell by the sound! Best be patient anyway.

(edit) ah yes... not looking like oak at all - v nice though!! all same rules apply nonetheless.

adidat":2tbm7p7b said:
i think its elm?? :duno:

adidat

Whats everyone else think Oak ,elm, MDF what ? :D Im going away to Isle of Wight for a week tommorow so will have to wait for the saw treatment until then :lol:

thecoder":wwlyupef said:
adidat":wwlyupef said:

adidat

Whats everyone else think Oak ,elm, MDF what ? :D Im going away to Isle of Wight for a week tommorow so will have to wait for the saw treatment until then :lol:

Give us a break!! :) it's a pic after all. Not elm. Walnut?? Anyone starting a book?? (OK, it's mdf, that's why it's full of worm).

condeesteso":env1ny43 said:
thecoder":env1ny43 said:
adidat":env1ny43 said:

adidat

Give us a break!! :) it's a pic after all. Not elm. Walnut?? Anyone starting a book??

:D thanks for the tips Condeesteso

Ok Ok ! so the newby got it wrong , so we all got to learn ! think I will keep the daft questions to myself in future :oops:

Hi theCoder - please ignore the 'wit' before. It has nothing to do with your question at all which is a good one. It's just when it got on to the actual wood it got amusing (to me anyway). The banter was between others, and not any reflection on your question. You will find a warm, friendly and helpful crowd here. Apologies from me for the contiboard bit... but it was quite funny.

RogerS":2t4l40ni said:
I agree that it doesn't look like oak. Maybe elm...difficult to see without looking at the grain.

Hi folks, I have now had chance to plane up the wood in question,can anyone tell me if this is Oak please..

IMAG0157.jpg

reddish tint, different rings, and each ring leaves a sort of smoke trail, this is the same in ash.

100% elm

adidat

Latest posts

Back