Oak Prep question please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adidat":2tfjmhnr said:
reddish tint, different rings, and each ring leaves a sort of smoke trail, this is the same in ash.

100% elm

adidat

ash ,elm ash elm, now im confused lol #-o

ok its elm, i was commenting on the the hazy part after each ring. this occurs in ash and elm, and not oak. but the wood has a reddish tint.

so its not ash

and its not oak

which makes it elm

simples

adidat

adidat":3hb2dl17 said:
ok its elm, i was commenting on the the hazy part after each ring. this occurs in ash and elm, and not oak. but the wood has a reddish tint.

so its not ash

and its not oak

which makes it elm

simples

adidat

Got it 8)

Another pointer to it being Elm are those small , dark circles by the lower right knot; like knots that didn't quite happen.
Also Elm has an odd grain. If you look closely at the smallest lines you can see, (not the growth ring lines, tiny lines within the summer growth) they are wavy; little woven zig zags that make it hard to split.
As well as this the grain has the habit of reversing. You can be planing quite happily with the grain and suddenly encounter an area that is against. That said, well done for getting that bit as smooth as you have. :)

Richard T":5ual84rk said:
Another pointer to it being Elm are those small , dark circles by the lower right knot; like knots that didn't quite happen.
Also Elm has an odd grain. If you look closely at the smallest lines you can see, (not the growth ring lines, tiny lines within the summer growth) they are wavy; little woven zig zags that make it hard to split.
As well as this the grain has the habit of reversing. You can be planing quite happily with the grain and suddenly encounter an area that is against. That said, well done for getting that bit as smooth as you have. :)

Hi Richard

That would make perfect sense because as I was planing I had the issue you were talking about where the grain ran in 2 different directions causing the plane to judder...

Thanks for the" getting it smooth" compliment but I have to give all the credit to the sharpness of the plane I got from a UKworkshop member.. :wink:

Latest posts

Back