Oak or Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sgian Dubh":2oerwbi9 said:
Paddy Roxburgh":2oerwbi9 said:
Sgian Dubh":2oerwbi9 said:
My understanding is that really spotting differences between all of the species that go into the general categorisations described as American white oak or European oak involves putting thin cross sectional samples under an electron microscope, or at least viewing them through a powerful magnifying glass.
Richard, was mention of an "electron" microscope a typo? Paddy
It wasn't a typo Paddy. Am electron micrograph is a bit excessive maybe, but I did mention the alternative of a powerful magnifying glass. Perhaps I should have suggested anything between these extremes might help with an identification. Slainte.

Hope I didn't come across as ars@y, I was/am genuinely interested in what kind of magnification is useful for wood identification. I notice that in my not very extensive 30 minutes research the images under electron microscopes of wood samples are at relatively low magnification, achievable with standard light microscopes, do these offer more clarity, or do people simply use them because they have them?
I haven't looked through a microscope for more than 20 years. I used to find it quite fascinating at college I am tempted to invest in one (not a SEN obviously), I reckon my daughter would be interested too. I see that there are loads of cheap USB ones for sale online, does anyone have any experience of using these? Can anyone recommend a good reference book/site for wood identification or indeed amateur microscopy in general?
Thanks, Paddy

This one is well regarded
plus his other publication understanding wood.
Google images has more take the p**s results than real ones
Tom

Attachments

• 352565._UY422_SS422_.jpg
    352565._UY422_SS422_.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back