Oak front door, softwood frame

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I would appreciate some advise on a project that may come up.

The client wants a nice new oak FLB front door, no probs there. Its an old property and the existing pine door frame is serviceable but not pretty. I had intended to make a new oak frame to match and fit in place.

Yesterday I had a really good look, and the old frame was clearly put there during the renovation and whilst it would come out, getting a new already jointed frame in place would mean a load of extra flint work afterward and we all know that once you start to uncover things, more problems are exposed.

So my two options (unless you guys can think of anything better) are:

1) leave the old frame in place (tidy it up a bit) and then hang the new front door on that. I see weight as the big risk.

or

2) Try and build a door frame of sorts, from components, in situe.

What do you think would be the best way?

As ever any advise welcome!

If you will be making a made to measure door and frame, can you not just make it a little smaller than what's there now so you can fit it in and then just fill/trim the gap?

Good idea and thanks.

Problem is that the door is set well back in a thick wall from the front and the sides have heafty bits of flint in the way, so the fillers would be big, but it is an option.

I normally make frames 10mm bigger than the widest/tallest part of the reveals, fill the rest, then repair the reveals

Back