Quantcast

oak floor finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Nathsea

Reaction score
Hi, First post here, been lurking for some time though :)

Recently decided to clad our stairs with oak before putting a runner on them. We have used oak flooring which we have through the rest of the house, but have sanded it down to plain wood (no finish) then put a bullnose on it for the edge of the step.
We now need to finish the wood again, so as it matches the rest of the flooring, but i havent got a clue what to use!

The floor appears to have a lacquer on it, and when it has been sanded has left a nasty white residue over everything. I can pop a photo up if that would help.

So do you guys have any idea what i need to coat this with to enable me to get a fairly good match to the rest of the house.

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
You will need to get rid of the white residue from the oak before you treat with anything else.

I did my conservatory oak floor earlier this year and it took a fair while to get all the white residue off which is still part of the lacquer. If you try to put a finish on the oak without removing this it will look awful.

How do I know, I've made this mistake.

Hope this helps.

Nathsea

Reaction score
Waka":fxjubqjh said:
You will need to get rid of the white residue from the oak before you treat with anything else.

I did my conservatory oak floor earlier this year and it took a fair while to get all the white residue off which is still part of the lacquer. If you try to put a finish on the oak without removing this it will look awful.

How do I know, I've made this mistake.

Hope this helps.

Hi thanks for your post, sorry, dont think i was too clear, i am back to wood, all white residue has now gone, i just stated that so as it may gave someone a clue as to what i need to use so as I get a similar finish again. Sorry for the confusion.

Many Thanks
Nath

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ah Silly me,

You can get from the likes of B&Q some varnish that is called Diamond Hard, I have used this in the past and been very pleased with the results.

Latest posts