Oak desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I got this finished the other day. My customer had seen a similar one I built and asked for this with provision for files in the two bottom drawers. He also wanted it transportable so the top and upper drawers are separate from the pedestals. It is made in AWO with a 2 pac clear finish. Drawer runners are all soft close.

gorgeous desk, I love oak whether it's American or European but especially our own native oak.

Very nice clean design Mailee, I like the choice of drawer handles too.

Was it the client's choice to not have bottoms on the file drawers?

Did it take a really long time to build or have you just got a bit weary of posting of late?

Crisp looking finish and detailing Alan, good to see some of your cabinet work, no doubt done with your usual fast moving assembly schedule.
A change from your MDF built-ins.

That looks to be very well made, and finished.
Please help, you mention the top and three drawers being separate to the pedestals. In days of old this split was between the upper drawer and next on down, as part of the pedestal. I cannot see such a join on your desk, where does it split?
xy

xy mosian":w2gt8gs3 said:
Please help, you mention the top and three drawers being separate to the pedestals. In days of old this split was between the upper drawer and next on down, as part of the pedestal. I cannot see such a join on your desk, where does it split?
xy

I'm sitting at an old dark oak pedestal desk, the pedestals are complete units, the knee drawer and case fits between them with locating dowels and retaining screws and all three are screwed to the top from beneath.

monkeybiter":3p0v4fac said:
xy mosian":3p0v4fac said:
xy

I'm sitting at an old dark oak pedestal desk, the pedestals are complete units, the knee drawer and case fits between them with locating dowels and retaining screws and all three are screwed to the top from beneath.

I must have been sitting at the wrong desks. :)
I cannot remember seeing that arrangement before, thanks for the information.
xy

monkeybiter":1ldqt9fi said:
I thought I'd post this link to show you what I meant
http://www.elisabethjamesantiques.co.uk/Antique-Victorian-Pedestal-Desks.htm [I love this site!]
but they're all as you described!

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Perhaps mailee, or Eric Morecombe, :) will be along to tell us why we can't see the join.
I'm sure that there will be some sort of arrangement such as you suggest. An advantage of the older(?) method is that it requires no fixings. Visually different of course.
xy

The top splits as you can see from the drawing. There is a small bead detail on top of each pedestal which helps disguise the join and each of the end drawer fronts cover the join at each side. The base frame of the top locates over two wooden blocks which is a snug fit between the sides when located on the blocks. (If that makes sense)

Thanks for the insight into the design, it certainly does hide the join very well, hence all the speculation.

Thanks for clearing that up mailee.
Now I look, in hindsight, your second image shows a double carcass side by the top drawer, neatly done Sir, neatly done.

xy

Back