Oak countertop - durable finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowry_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm using a section of 26mm oak kitchen worktop as a top for an alcove builtin. It'll be used to house hi-fi, DVD etc, with a heavy TV on top, amongst other things.

I'd initially planned to finish as for a kitchen worktop - danish oil, once a day for a week, once a week for a month, etc. Is this necessary where water won't be a factor, or is it more appropriate to apply fewer coats of oil, then a wax finish?

Thanks
Drew

Hi Drew,

You won't need as many coats as a kitchen worktop.

I find oak is extremely variable in its absorption of finish but I would think about 4-5 coats would suffice. Basically give it enough coats until you are happy with the finish then give it one more for luck.

The more coats you give the shinier it gets, wax will take it back to a sheen if you use it with 0000 grade wire wool.

Hope this helps

Keith

Keith Smith":5ff7t5q9 said:
The more coats you give the shinier it gets, wax will take it back to a sheen if you use it with 0000 grade wire wool.
So will a grey Scotch abrasive pad (available from car paint places and Machine Mart) and unlike wax the worktop won't (sometimes) go white if you spill hot water on it

Scrit

Keith Smith":1jsuhlxs said:
if you use it with 0000 grade wire wool

I wouldn't mix wirewool and oak even if its not intended to get wet. Atmospheric damp or even a little too much moisture in the timber could set off a reaction.

Cheers

Tim

Back